The UPSC Results 2019 catapulted farmer’s son Pradeep Singh to national fame. Singh achieved what every IAS aspirant dreams of, that of securing the first rank in the All India civil services exam. Read on to know more about Pradeep Singh (AIR 1, CSE 2019), his educational background and work experience, UPSC optional, motivation, etc.
Pradeep Singh IAS Topper Background
Pradeep Singh hails from Tewari village in Sonipat, Haryana. His father was sarpanch of the village and Singh’s main inspiration in his journey towards the IAS.
- 29-year old Singh was an Indian Revenue Services Officer when the results of the 2019 UPSC exam were announced and he saw his name on top of the list. A total of 829 candidates were selected for various civil services posts after the 2019 UPSC exam.
- He had also previously worked in the Income Tax Department after clearing the SSC exams.
- This was Singh’s fourth attempt. His third attempt saw him achieving a rank of 260 and being selected for the IRS (Customs & Indirect Taxes). He had been undergoing probation at the National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes and Narcotics (NACIN) in Faridabad.
- Pradeep Singh completed his entire education from Sonipat, his schooling from Shambhu Dayal School and computer science engineering from DCRUST College.
- His mother is a housewife and he has a brother and a sister.
Journey towards the IAS
Pradeep Singh confesses it was tough juggling his Income Tax Inspector’s job along with the IAS preparation. But whenever he felt demotivated and thought of giving up, his father encouraged him to stick to his dreams and focus on the preparation.
Although Singh had initially joined some coaching, he had to later discontinue it due to time constraints. He later focused on self-study along with the help of his friends.
Singh’s message to aspirants is simple – “Self-motivation is the best key to achieve any goal.”
Get more IAS toppers’ list in the linked article.
Pradeep Singh’s IAS Preparation Strategy
Singh advises candidates to opt for different strategies for the different stages of the IAS exam.
- For the UPSC Prelims, he strongly recommends studying with a focus on current affairs and factual knowledge.
- Candidates must focus on writing skills to perform well in the IAS mains according to Singh. And in the interview, interpersonal skills should be worked on, apart from keeping in mind the DAF.
- During his preparation, Pradeep Singh focussed on finishing targeted portions of the UPSC syllabus every day.
- He says determination and consistency are the two most important aspects of the IAS preparation.
Pradeep Singh’s preferred cadre is his home state of Haryana. He hopes to work for the education and the farm sectors.