UPSC 2017-18: PIB Summary and Analysis Aug20 for IAS Exam Preparation.
PM greets people across Tripura, on the Jayanti of Maharaja Bir Bikram Kishore Debbarma Manikya Bahadur
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has greeted people across Tripura, on the Jayanti of Maharaja Bir Bikram Kishore Debbarma Manikya Bahadur.
Maharaja Bir Bikram Kishore Debbarma Manikya Bahadur
- Bir Bikram Kishore Debbarman Manikya Bahadur (1908 –1947) was a king (or maharaja) of Tripura State.
- He was the king before the merger of Tripura with India.
- He succeeded his father, Birendra Kishore Manikya Debbarman, on 13 August 1923. He was succeeded by his own son, Maharaja Kirit Bikram Kishore, who was king for two years till the state’s accession to India in 1949, but who did not rule, as he was a minor.
- Bir Bikram Kishore Debbarman is considered the father of modern architecture in Tripura, as the entire planning of present-day Tripura was initiated during his rule.
- He is also considered one of the pioneers in land reforms. In 1939, he reserved land for the local Tripura tribals, which was later instrumental in the creation of the Tripura autonoumus district council.
- He is also credited to have built the first airport in Tripura, which is today the second busiest airport in the entire northeast.
Ministry of Defence approves delegation of Powers to Border Roads Organisation
The Ministry of Defence has decided to delegate administrative and financial powers to the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) right upto the level of Chief Engineer and Task Force Commander, so as to avoid delays on account of references between the Chief Engineer and HQ DGBR and also between HQ DGBR and the Ministry.
Border Roads Organisation(BRO)
- It is functioning under the control of the Ministry of Defence since 2015.
- The BRO is engaged in road construction to provide connectivity to difficult and inaccessible regions in the border areas of the country.
- The Ministry of Defence intends to bring transformational changes in the organization in order to improve the pace of execution of works and to achieve the desired outcomes according to the requirement of the Armed Forces.
- The BRO is engaged in road construction activities in the most difficult areas and the usage norms and fixation of life of construction equipment varies from terrain to terrain.
UPSC Mains Practice Question GS Paper 3 1. Border management is a complex task due to difficult terrain and hostile relations with some countries. Elucidate the challenges and strategies for effective border management. UPSC Mains 2016)