TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. NISAR (NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar) 2. DigiClaim through NCIP 3. Medium Power Radar - Arudhra & DR-118 Radar Warning Receivers (RWR) 4. Exercise Konkan 2023 5. Eco-sensitive Zones of the Indian Himalayan Region 6. Sagar Manthan 7. Collaboration of UIDAI and SETS
1. NISAR (NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar)
Syllabus – GS3, Science and Technology; Awareness in the field of Space
Prelims – NISAR – Joint Earth Observing Mission of NASA & ISRO.
Context – NASA & ISRO have jointly manufactured an earth science satellite called NISAR.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Agency (NASA) and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have jointly manufactured an earth satellite named NISAR (NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar) at a cost of about Rs 470 cr. The satellite is the first radar imaging satellite to use dual frequencies.
- The spacecraft will orbit the Earth in a sun-synchronous orbit of 747 Km with an inclination of 98.4 degrees for a 12-day repeat cycle.
- The NISAR spacecraft accommodates two fully capable synthetic aperture radar instruments: NASA’s 24 cm wavelength L-band Synthetic Aperture Radar (L-SAR) and a 10 cm wavelength S-band Synthetic Aperture Radar (S-SAR) provided by ISRO. NISAR has a ~ 240 km swath, 7 m resolution along track and 2-8 m resolution cross-track (depending on mode).
- It will be used for remote sensing, to observe and understand natural processes on earth.
Syllabus – GS2, Governance; e-Governance models
Prelims – DigiClaim, PMFBY
Context – Launch of DigiClaim for claim disbursal through NCIP.
- The Union Agriculture Minister, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar launched NCIP’s (National Crop Insurance Portal) digitised claim settlement module called DigiClaim under the ambit of PMFBY (Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana). Farmers will receive the disbursed amount electronically and DigiClaim has been made operational in six states – Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Haryana and Chhattisgarh.
- It is a revolutionary step in ensuring that farmers can receive claim amounts digitally in a timebound manner, thereby making them Atmanirbhar and Sashakt.
- This technology has been made available through the integration of NCIP and the Public Finance Management System (PFMS).
- Farmers will also be able to track the claim settlement process on their mobile phones in real-time and avail of the scheme’s benefits.
3. Medium Power Radar – Arudhra & DR-118 Radar Warning Receivers (RWR)
Syllabus – GS3, Science & Technology; Indigenisation of Technology.
Prelims – MPR – Arudhra & DR -118 RWR.
Context – The Ministry of Defence signed two separate contracts with BEL for the supply of Medium Power Radar – Arudhra and DR-118 Radar Warning Receivers.
- The Ministry of Defence signed two separate contracts worth Rs 3,700 cr with Bharat Electronic Limited (BEL) to enhance the operational capabilities of the Indian Air Force.
- The first contract is for the supply of Medium Power Radar – Arudhra and the second is related to 129 DR-118 Radar Warning Receivers (RWR). Both the contracts are under Buy-Indian-IDMM (Indigenously Designed Developed and manufactured) category.
- Arudhra (MPR):
- It is a 4D multi-function phased array radar with electronic steering in both azimuth and elevation for surveillance, detection and tracking of aerial targets.
- The radar has been indigenously designed and developed by DRDO and will be manufactured by BEL.
- DR-118 RWR:
- The DR-118 RWR will significantly enhance the Electronic Warfare (EW) capabilities of Su-30 MKI Aircraft.
- The majority of its parts will be sourced indigenously.
Syllabus – GS3, security; Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
Prelims – Exercise Konkan 2023
Context – Bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and the Royal Navy of Britain.
- The annual bilateral maritime exercise, Konkan 2023 between the Indian Navy and the Royal Navy of Britain was held off the Konkan coast in the Arabian Sea. The maritime exercise demonstrated operational readiness, improved interoperability and joint operations.
- A guided missile frigate – INS Trishul and a type 23 guided missile frigate – HMS Lancaster participated in the exercise. The exercise covered all domains of maritime operations – air, surface and subsurface.
5. Eco-sensitive Zones of the Indian Himalayan Region
Syllabus – GS3, Environment; Conservation
Prelims – Eco-sensitive zones and ecologically sensitive areas.
Context – 92 eco-sensitive zones and 2 ecologically sensitive areas in 13 states of the Indian Himalayan Region.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change notifies the ESZs (Eco-Sensitive Zones) around the protected areas to manage and conserve biodiversity across the protected areas. The ministry also notifies Ecologically Sensitive Areas (ESA) which have unique biological resources and need conservation.
- An area around each Protected Area requires to be notified as an Eco Sensitive Zone for creating a buffer around Protected Areas.
- On the recommendations and proposals of the State governments, the MoEFCC notifies ESZs under the Environment (Protection) Act 1986. In 13 states of the Indian Himalayan Region, 92 ESZs and 2 ESAs have been notified.
Syllabus – GS2, Governance; e-governance models
Prelims – Sagar Manthan
Context – Sagar Manthan – the real-time performance monitoring dashboard of MoPSW.
- The Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways and Ayush Shri Sarbananda Sonowal virtually launched the real-time performance monitoring dashboard – Sagar Manthan. It is a digital platform having integrated data related to the ministry and other subsidiaries.
- Efective project monitoring can ensure the timely completion of projects, informed decision-making, and increased efficiency & effectiveness of projects. It will also promote real-time project tracking, risk management, resource allocation, and progress reporting.
- Features of the Sagar Manthan:
- Data visualisation
- Real-time monitoring
- Improved communication
- Data-driven decision-making
- Increased accountability
7. Collaboration of UIDAI and SETS
Syllabus -GS2, Governance; government policies and interventions in various fields
Prelims – UIDAI & SETS
Context – UIDAI and SETS join hands to conduct R&D in deep tech including Quantum Computing, IoT Security and Cyber Security.
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and Society for Electronic Transactions and Security (SETS), part of the Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser to the GoI joined hands to do joint R&D leading to the development of tools and products in deep tech domains.
- As per the MoU, both the organisations will conduct research in deep tech and emerging technologies like Cyber Security, IoT Security, Mobile Device Security, Financial Network Slice Security, etc.
- The collaboration is a part of the ‘Make in India’ initiative, to become self-reliant in information and cyber security and to reduce dependence on tools developed outside the country.
Read the previous PIB articles here.
March 23rd, 2023, PIB:- Download PDF Here
|Types of Warship||Cyber Security|
|Quantum Computing||Intended Nationally Determined Contributions|
|Make in India||Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme|