Skill India organizes an Ajeevika and Kaushal Vikas Mela
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), together joined hands to amplify the “Gram Swaraj Abhiyaan” of the current incumbent government which is promoting social harmony and awareness around the pro-poor initiatives of the government.
- In this regards MSDE organized a Kaushal and Rojgar Mela at New Women’s College in Khordha, Bhubaneswar where more than 5000 people from different walks of life participated.
- More than 29 state of art multi-skill ‘Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras’ were also launched digitally across the country by the Minister.
- The Minister also handed over Mudra loan acceptance letters to the youth participating at the event.
- The Kaushal Mela organized on the sidelines of the event, saw an exhibition being put multiple stakeholders including Sector Skill Councils, Bankers, Training Partners, Industries, ITIs etc., which provided counselling for the candidates and their parents, and helped them understand various opportunities available in the skill development ecosystem.
- National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) was a scheme promoted by the Indian government under its Ministry of Rural Development. It was basically a poverty relief project.
- The scheme promoted self-employment and organisation of the poor in rural India.
- The scheme sought to organise poor people in rural areas into SHG or Self Help Groups and turn them self-employment-ready.
- NRLM was a rehashed and improved version of the previous poverty alleviation scheme, the Swarnajayanti Grameen Swarojgar Yojana.
- NRLM was started in 2011 and also had World Bank support. In September 2015, it was replaced by the Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana.
Marshal Arjan Singh Memorial All India Hockey Tournament
- The first ‘Marshal Arjan Singh Memorial’ All India Hockey Tournament is being conducted by Air Force Sports Control Board, New Delhi to honour the great soldier.
- Late Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh DFC was the first and the only ‘Five Star’ rank officer of the IAF and was a keen lover of the game of Hockey.
- To propel the awareness of Hockey and also to reinstate its prominence, a national level tournament uniting 16 teams (eight elite club teams of the country with another eight teams from the armed forces and para military forces) is being held at Chandigarh from 07 to 12 May 18.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.