Are there any special tricks?
Lakhs of aspiring candidates apply for the Probationary Officer’s post in SBI. There are basically two tiers of examination held for the PO post followed by an interview process. The candidates who clear the preliminary examination will be allowed to appear for Mains. The merit list of provisional allotment is decided on the basis of Mains and Interview.
The Main examination consists of a section on Data Interpretation and analysis of 50 marks. A major sectional cut-off depends on this part hence if candidates tend to lose this sectional marks then their dream of being in such a prestigious position gets over. The reason why data interpretation is tricky because it has no fixed syllabus.
The SBI PO post holds a very responsible position so this section tests the candidates’ decision-making ability and relating problems with real life objects. It also gives an idea as to how to be efficient and speed up the calculations using limited input.
Data Interpretation Syllabus includes:
- Pie charts
- Bar Graphs
- Line charts
- Radar Graphs
- Mixed Graphs
All the questions that come from this syllabus include heavy calculations and approximations.
SBI PO Data interpretation Tips:
- To understand the data: The subject itself conveys that the candidate needs to interpret the data at first before proceeding with the calculations. Banks basically wants employees who are good at calculations. The candidates are advised not to start with the calculations directly without interpreting the data.
- The questions need to be scanned carefully: A very important step to solving problems from DI is one needs to understand the level of difficulty of the questions so that the candidate knows which one to attempt first and which one later. Each set of questions contains easy, medium and difficult questions. Easy questions are to be attempted first which fetch good marks.
- Calculation speed: This section is all about calculations, for scoring decent marks in this section one has to master in calculation speed. There are shortcut techniques that save a lot of time in solving the graphs and charts.
- Acquaintance with all type of DI questions: The different types of questions and formats should be known to the candidate so that they develop a confidence within to solve these questions in the final written examinations.
- Avoid calculator while practicing: SBI PO exam does not allow calculators so the candidate should practice without using a calculator and solve the problems manually.
- Practice: Speed with accuracy plays a major role in these type of examinations. The candidate needs to build up the basics first then practice through sample papers or mock papers to increase the speed along with accurate answers. This helps to boost up the confidence and face the exam with determination.
The data interpretation is all about approximation in calculations.
- Approximation helps in reducing the mistakes as there do not arise a question of calculating many numbers. For example 3692/235 =15.710638….4, it will either become 15.71 or 15.7.
- Assumptions are to be avoided as for example if the value is given as 22/7, then it is advised not to take as 3.14 as the value and proceed with the calculation.
- Units like km/hr and m/sec conversions should be taken care of as candidates usually tend to lose marks in this section.
Data Interpretation is quite easy and scoring section to attempt where it adds a lot of marks to the overall section of SBI PO, all it needs is accuracy and speed to solve all the tricky questions.
The above-mentioned tricks and tips will add value to the aspirant’s preparation for the upcoming bank exams 2017.
For any details regarding SBI exams, visit Byju’s.