The committee appointed by the Indian Government to give recommendations with regard to the review of the administration of Public Tax System in the country is known as the Tax Administration Reform Commission or TARC. The announcement to set up the Tax Administration Reform Commission was made by the Finance Minister in the Budget Speech 2013-14.
The TARC was appointed for:
- Reviewing the application of policies and laws with respect to tax in the country after considering the best practices followed throughout the world.
- Recommending measures for tax administration reforms as and when necessary.
- The commission was appointed post the Notification from the Indian Government on the 21st of August in 2013.
- The Commission was established for a period of 18 months
- Its role is to advise the Ministry of Finance.