As per the latest news, the Chandigarh Administration has recommended the names of 4 eminent doctors for the Padma Awards this year.
- Dr. Anil Bhansali- Head of Endocrinology Department, PGIMER, Chandigarh
- Dr.Digambar Behera – Head of Pulmonary Department, PGIMER, Chandigarh
- Dr. Akshay Anand – Head of Neurology Department, PGIMER, Chandigarh
- Dr. B.S Chavan – Director Principal of Government Medical College & Hospital, Chandigarh
The Indian government has instituted two civilian awards- a three-tier Padma Vibhushan and Bharat Ratna in 1954. Padma Award is one of the premier civilian Awards of the nation that are conferred to people who outshine in their corresponding field. The Padma Vibhushan was classified into three –Pahela Varg, Dusra Varg, and Tisra Varg. These were successively retitled as Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan, and Padma Shri through a Presidential Notification issued on January 8, 1955. Padma awards are given by the President of India at traditional functions held at Rashtrapati Bhawan in the month of March or April.
This article will be very useful for competitive exams like UPSC Exam, SSC Exams, Bank exams, and all state-related exams. Here we are giving all the details about the Padma Awards.
The award is given in three classes, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
Padma Vibhushan is given for extraordinary and distinguished service. It the second-highest civilian award in India.
Padma Bhushan is given for the distinguished service of a high order. It is the third-highest civilian award in India.
Padma Shri is given for the distinguished service. In the order of civilian awards, it is ranked 4th.
- The Padma Awards were instituted in 1954 by the Government of India.
- It is awarded annually in the event of Republic Day
- The award does not add up to a title and cannot be used as a suffix or prefix to the recipient’s name.
- The awardees are given a medallion and a Sanad signed by the President of India.
- The recipient is also given a small duplication of the medallion, which they can wear in the course of any ceremonial and State functions etc.
- The names of the Padma award recipient are published in the Gazette of India.
- The total number of awards to be given in a year should not be more than 120 (not including posthumous awards and to foreigners/ NRI/OCIs).
- The Padma Awards are given on the recommendations done by the Padma Awards Committee, which is created by the Prime Minister Annually.
- The Award Committee is supervised by the Cabinet Secretary and comprises of Secretary to the President, Home Secretary, and 4-6 distinguished individuals as members.
- The proposal of the award committee is tabled to the President of India and the Prime Minister for consent.
- All individuals deprived of the difference of race, profession, sex or position are entitled to these awards.
- Foreigners are also entitled to Bharat Ratna and Padma Awards.
- The Padma award seeks to distinguish works of excellence and is given for and extraordinary achievements in all fields of
- Art -Painting, Sculpture, Music, Photography, Theatre, Cinema, etc.
- Civil Service -Excellence in administration
- Literature and Education -Journalism, Book writing, Teaching, Literature, Poetry, Education Reforms, the upliftment of education and literacy
- Medicine- Medical research, specialization in Allopathy, Homeopathy, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Siddha, etc.
- Public Affairs- Law, Politics, Public Life etc.
- Science and Engineering- Nuclear Science, Information Technology, Space Engineering, Research and Development in Science & its associated subjects, etc.
- Social work – Charitable service, Social service, contribution to public projects, etc.
- Sports – Athletics, Adventure, Mountaineering, promotion of sports, Yoga and other Popular Sports.
- Trade and Industry – Economic Activities, Business, Promotion of Tourism, Banking, Management, etc.
- Other fields not enclosed above and may comprise propagation of Indian Culture, guarding Human Rights, Wild Life protection, and conservation, etc.
- The constitutional validity of Padma Awards was challenged in 1992 in Kerala and Madhya Pradesh with respect to the Public interest Litigation filed. Until the issue has resolved in the respective court, the award was suspended.
- Every year, Padma awards recommendations invite take place between May 1st and September 15.
- The award is generally not conferred after death. But in highly commendable cases, the Government could consider giving an award posthumously.
- One can confer the higher category of Padma award only after completing 5 years after the conferring the earlier Padma award. But, in highly commendable situations, moderation can be made by the Award Committee.
- No Padma awards were given in the year of 1978, 1979, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997 due to the change of government.
List of Padma Awards 2019 – Recipients
|Padma Vibhushan||Ms. Teejan Bai
Shri Ismail Omar Guelleh (Foreigner)
Shri Anilkumar Manibhai Naik
Shri Balwant Moreshwar Purandare
|Padma Bhushan||Shri John Chambers (Foreigner)
Shri Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa
Shri Pravin Gordhan (Foreigner)
Shri Mahashay Dharam Pal Gulati
Shri Ashok Laxmanrao Kukade
Shri Kariya Munda
Shri Budhaditya Mukherjee
Shri Mohanlal Viswanathan Nair
Shri S Nambi Narayan
Shri Kuldip Nayar (Posthumous)
Ms. Bachendri Pal
Shri V K Shunglu
Shri Hukumdev Narayan Yadav
|Padma Shri||Rajeshwar Acharya – Art-Vocal-Hindustani – Uttar Pradesh
Bangaru Adigalar – Spiritualism – Tamil Nadu
Illias Ali – Medicine-Surgery – Assam
Manoj Bajpayee – Art-Acting-Films – Maharashtra
Uddhab Kumar Bharali – Science & Engineering-Grassroots Innovation – Assam
Omesh Kumar Bharti – Medicine (Rabies) – Himachal Pradesh
Pritam Bhartwan – Art-Vocals-Folk – Uttarakhand
Jyoti Bhatt – Art-Painting – Gujarat
Dilip Chakravarty – Archaeology – Delhi
Mammen Chandy – Medicine (Hematology) – West Bengal
Swapan Chaudhuri – Art-Music-Tabla – West Bengal
Kanwal Singh Chauhan – Agriculture – Haryana
Sunil Chhetri – Sports (Football) – Telangana
Dinyar Contractor – Art-Acting-Theatre – Maharashtra
Muktaben Pankajkumar Dagli – Social Work (Divyang Welfare) – Gujarat
Babulal Dahiya – Agriculture – Madhya Pradesh
List of Padma Awards & Awardees 2019:- Download PDF Here
Tune into BYJU’S for more strategy articles and news on UPSC Civil Services IAS Exam