The National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) is an important national organisation involved in the agricultural and cooperative sector in India. In this article, you can read more about NCDC for the IAS and other government exams.
National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC):- Download PDF Here
What do you understand by NCDC and how it works?
The National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) is a statutory corporation established by an act of the Indian Parliament in 1963.
- It functions under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
- It is the apex financing organisation of the ministry.
- Its chief objectives are planning and promoting programmes for production, processing, marketing, storage, export and import of agricultural produce, livestock, etc. on cooperative principles.
- Headquartered in New Delhi, the NCDC has 18 state/regional directorates.
- It is headed by a Managing Director.
The NCDC conducts many schemes and programmes. Click the links in the table below for details about the recent schemes.
|Sahakar Mitra Scheme||Sahakar Pragya Scheme|
- It engages in programmes for agricultural products, and certain notified commodities such as insecticides, fertilisers, lac, agricultural machinery, soap, textile, rubber, kerosene oil, etc.
- It also collects, processes, stores, markets, and exports minor forest produce through cooperatives.
- NCDC also engages in income-generating activities in the field of dairy, poultry, sericulture, fisheries and handloom.
- After an amendment to the NCDC Act, the organisation can now finance rural projects in rural industrial cooperative sectors, and other services in rural areas such as water conservation, agricultural insurance, irrigation and micro-irrigation, animal health, rural sanitation and so on.
- It directly funds projects under its several schemes of assistance.
- It also advances loans & grants to state governments for financing primary and secondary level cooperative societies, and to direct to the national level and other societies for programmes spanning more than one state.
The below image shows the domains in which the NCDC conducts programs and schemes:
|UPSC Mains Exam||Government Exams|
|NCERT Notes||Government Schemes|
|Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana||Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABY)|