UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Sampoorna Bima Gram Yojana
With the aim of providing affordable life insurance services to people living in rural areas of the country through postal network, the Ministry of communications launched Sampoorna Bima Gram Yojana (SBG Yojana). The coverage of Postal Life Insurance was also expanded by the ministry.
- SBG Yojana identifies at least one village (with a minimum of 100 households) in each of the revenue districts of the country and intends to cover all the households with a minmum of one Rural Postal Life Insurance (RPLI) in that village.
- It covers all the villages under Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana.
- The benefits of PLI will no more be confined to government and semi-government employees only. It shall also be made available to professionals such as bankers, lawyers, architects, chartered accountants, management consultants, engineers, doctors etc. and also to the employees of listed companies of BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange) and NSE (National Stock Exchange).
- The decision has been taken to enlarge the cover of social security and bring the maximum number of people under the protection of Postal Life Insurance (PLI).
Postal Life Insurance (PLI)
Postal Life Insurance was introduced in 1884, and is one of the oldest life insurance schemes for benefit of government and semi-government employees. Initially, the upper limit of life insurance was fixed at Rs 4000, which has now been increased to Rs 50 lakh.
- It covers employees of government-aided educational institutions, universities, credit co-operative societies , Central and state governments, Central and state public sector undertakings, joint ventures having a minimum of 10% Govt./PSU stake, nationalized banks, local bodies, autonomous bodies etc.
- The facility of insurance is also extended to the officers and staff of the Para- military forces and Defence Services.
- Apart from single insurance policies, a group insurance scheme for the extra departmental employees (Gramin Dak Sevaks) of the Department of Posts is also managed by Postal Life Insurance.