Conference of Governors 2018
- The two-day Conference of Governors and Lt. Governors commenced today (June 4, 2018) at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- This is the 49th such Conference held in Rashtrapati Bhavan and the second Conference presided over by President Kovind.
- In his opening address, the President said that as per the Constitution, the post of Governor has an exalted place in the scheme of governance. The Governor is a mentor and guide to the state government and an important link in the federal structure.
- The President said that there are approximately 100 million people in our country who belong to the Scheduled Tribes. A majority of this population lives in regions that are covered under the Fifth and Sixth Schedule of the Constitution of India.
- Governors can help in the shaping of a road map for the betterment of lives of our fellow citizens, who have not benefited as much as expected from our development journey.
- The two-day 2018 Conference will discuss important thematic issues in various sessions which include briefings and presentations on flagship programmes of the Government of India and on internal security; higher education in state universities and skill development for employability;
- It will also discuss steps taken on the report of Committee of Governors, constituted during the 48th Conference of Governors; and commemoration of the 150thbirth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
World Environment Day
- June 5th around the world will be celebrated as World Environment Day.
- The theme for this year’s World Environment Day is ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
- Prime Minister in the 44th edition of ‘Mann Ki Baat’ had underlined that India being the official host of the World Environment Day Celebrations is a recognition of India’s growing leadership in tackling climate change issues.
Some of the initiatives of the government are
- With an aim to achieve zero carbon foot print, ‘Energy Efficiency’concept of sustainable green technologies/norms based on GRIHA, LEEDS, Green Fuels, MARPOL compliance and alternative energy resources are being adopted in all future plans for augmentation and acquisition of assets/ infrastructure.
- In an endeavour towards fulfilment of ‘Paperless Office’,initiatives undertaken in the field of IT through digital work processes have ensured gross reduction in paper consumption.
- 95 percent of conventional street lights of the repair yards have been replaced with LED lights and over 1000 have been changed over with Smart timer based street light.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.