Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
November 9th, 2019 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. BRICS Trade Ministers Meet 2. CYCLONE BULBUL 3. National Entrepreneurship Awards 2019 4. MILAN 2020
BRICS Trade Ministers Meet
Piyush Goyal, the Commerce and Industry and Railway minister will be participating in the 9th BRICS Trade Ministers Meet in Brasilia, Brazil.
Background on BRICS
- BRICS refers to the international organization which is a collaboration between the five major countries of the world which includes Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- The term was coined by Jim ‘o’ Neil, the 2001 chairman of Goldman Sachs.
- South Africa joined only by 2010 making it BRICS formally.
- BRICS is the association with more than 40% of the global population and with 25% of global GDP (nominal GDP of US$16.039 trillion) and an estimated US$4 trillion in combined forex. Bilateral relations have conducted mainly on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
Click Here: To read more about the topic
- Discussions will be focussed on opportunities for enhanced intra-BRICS trade and investment cooperation.
- The issues such as cooperation in e-commerce, investment facilitation, MSMEs, and Intellectual Property Rights will be given importance
- Deliberations on the current global economic and trade environment, challenges facing the multilateral trading system, ways of advancing the BRICS trade and investment cooperation will also take place.
- It will help foster close collaboration between the trade and investment promotion agencies of BRICS nations for promoting intra-BRICS trade and investment.
Naval Ships and Aircraft are kept on Standby to aid in Rescue and Relief operations over the northwest Bay of Bengal as measures against the landfall of the severe cyclone BULBUL.
Click here: to read about it
- Eastern Naval Command(ENC) is closely monitoring the movement of the Cyclonic Storm which is presently moving northwards.
- The Naval Ships and Aircraft are on Standby for rescue and Relief Operations.
- The maximum sustained winds around the cyclone system are of the order of 65 -70 Knots.
- Naval Aircraft deployed in the Bay of Bengal have been warning fishing boats and making them return to the coast.
- Three IN Ships at Visakhapatnam are standby with relief material embarked for immediate deployment to the most affected areas.
- Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operation will be executed by the ships at Visakhapatnam.
- Ten diving and medical teams are kept ready for augmenting rescue and relief efforts in Odisha and West Bengal. In addition to all other measures.
- Naval aircrafts are kept ready to undertake an aerial survey of the most affected areas, casualty evacuation and airdrop of relief material as required.
National Entrepreneurship Awards 2019
Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship conferred the National Entrepreneurship Awards 2019 to Enterprises and Ecosystem builders in commemoration of the completion of 5 years of setting up of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship since 2014.
- The awards aim to recognize and honor the outstanding young First-Generation Entrepreneurs, and Ecosystem builders.
- It seeks to instill and entrench the entrepreneurial attitude among the youth of India.
- There were three categories of competition for entrepreneurs depending on the initial investments-
- A1 category for initial investments up to Rs 1 lakh.
- A2 category for initial investments between Rs 1 lakh to Rs 10 Lakh.
- A3 category for initial investment between Rs 10 lakh to Rs 1 crore.
- There were 4 special categories which included
- Women Entrepreneur
- Entrepreneur from SC/ST Category
- Entrepreneur from People with Disability category
- Entrepreneur from difficult areas
- Award Winners received a Trophy, Certificate and a Cash Prize of ₹5 lakh if they were enterprise or individuals and ₹10 lakh if they were classified as organizations or institutes.
- The Skilled workforce will fulfill the country’s aspiration to become the $5 trillion in near-future, and improving the rank in Ease of doing business.
- Self-help groups in the countryside have improved the financial health of the people.
- these awards are different from those being given by the private sector, as they recognize the people rooted in real India, who have come up through struggle and hard work.
- The Mid Planning Conference (MPC) for the MILAN exercise concluded at Visakhapatnam
- It was a three-day conference
- MILAN features a series of biennial and multilateral naval exercise which commenced in 1995.
- It was conducted in Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) until 2018.
- MILAN 2020 enhanced professional interaction between friendly foreign navies.
- It helps navies to learn from each other’s strengths and best practices in the maritime domain.
- The event would also provide an excellent opportunity for Operational Commanders of friendly foreign navies to interact with each other.
|UPSC 2020||UPSC Current Affairs|
|Monthly Magazine for UPSC Current Affairs||UPSC Current Affairs Quiz|
|Government Exams||UPSC Prelims Exam|
November 9th, 2019 PIB:- Download PDF Here
Read more PIB articles here.