TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. 30th meeting of Northern Zonal Council 3. National Fish Farmers Day 3. Vice President calls for greater push for women’s education
Mains: Increasing centre-state and state to state level coordination and collaboration
Union Home and Cooperation Minister Shri Amit Shah presided over the 30th meeting of the Northern Zonal Council in Jaipur.
For detailed information on Zonal councils and their functioning refer to the following article:
PIB dated Jun 11, 2022
- The meeting was attended by the Chief Minister of Rajasthan, the Chief Minister of Haryana, the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, the Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh, the Administrator of Chandigarh, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister, Finance Minister of Punjab and senior ministers of member States.
- One of the major issues of discussion was cyber crime wherein preventing financial frauds and cyber crimes committed through social media was discussed. One of the main strategies to prevent cyber crimes would be to conduct cyber awareness campaigns through various mediums
- Training police officers, public prosecutors and concerned agencies including telecom companies, with new technology and advanced skills to tackle cyber crime also remains a top priority.
- The complex problems of sharing river water among the member states were also discussed in the meeting.
Significance of zonal councils:
- Zonal Councils provide an important forum for discussions regarding cordial relations between the Center and the States, amicable settlement of inter-State issues, enhancing regional cooperation between States and on issues of common national importance to be implemented across the country
- Resolving issues between the States in the Northern region and between the Center and States is very important for the development of the country and to strengthen the federal structure
Syllabus: GS Paper 3- Economy- Agriculture and allied activities
Mains: Government initiatives in the fisheries sector
- National Fisheries Development Board, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India would be celebrating the National Fish Farmers Day on 10th July 2022.
- The National fish farmers day is celebrated to commemorate Professor Dr. Hiralal Chaudhury and his colleague Alikunhi for their contribution in achieving the successful induced breeding of major carps on 10th July, 1957.
- Domestic Fish production and consumption and sustainable production shall be major themes of discussion apart from disease prevention and nutrient management in fishes.
Government initiatives in the fisheries sector:
- Centrally Sponsored Scheme “Blue Revolution” – Integrated Development and Management of Fisheries launched in 2016, is the most important initiative in the fisheries sector.
- The Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) launched in 2020 aims to achieve fish production of 22 MMT by 2024-25 and create an additional employment opportunity to about 55 lakh people through this sector.
- The Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF) scheme was started in 2018-19. This fund will focus on creation of fisheries infrastructure facilities.
Syllabus: GS Paper 1- Indian society and social issues- Issues related to women.
Mains: Significance of women education
The Indian Vice President’s address at the inauguration of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations of Mount Carmel College in Bengaluru.
- Speaking at the event the Indian Vice President called for a greater push to women’s education to bridge gender disparity in education.
- In his speech the Vice President reminisced the names of distinguished women scholars of ancient India such as Gargi and Maitreyi. The Vice President also noted the contributions by progressive rulers and reformers from Karnataka like Attimabbe and Sovaladevi, who were great patrons of learning, and the Virashaiva movement that focused on the emancipation of women through education.
- The Vice President emphasized on developing students’ skill sets in diversified sectors. He also called on to move away from rote learning to ‘active learning’.
Read previous PIB here.
July 09th, 2022, PIB:- Download PDF Here