This article gives information on tips and ways to achieve success in the UPSC Civil Service in the very first attempt. It divulges details on the very common traits found in the aspirants who were able to crack the IAS exam in the very first shot. The article also shares some vital information that needs to be remembered while preparing for the UPSC Civil Service Exam for the first time.
Aspirants would find this topic very helpful while preparing for the IAS Exam.
|Aspirants should begin their preparation by solving UPSC Previous Year Question Papers UPSC Previous Year Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
UPSC Civil Service Exam – An Introduction
The UPSC civil services exam is considered one of the toughest exams in the country. The pass percentage in this exam is abysmal (less than 0.1%). Most candidates take about three attempts to crack the IAS ceiling. But a few first-timers also make the cut and that too with flying colors. How is this possible? How can such a taxing exam with a monstrous syllabus and steep competition be cracked in the very first attempt by novices? What does first attempt mean? Does it mean only a year of IAS preparation or does it have more to it? Read on for more about how to clear IAS in first attempt.
Some people say that clearing the IAS exam in the first attempt is not only hard work but also a little bit of luck. They say that maybe the candidate got questions from the topics he prepared. Or maybe the UPSC board was lenient on him at the interview. Well, there is only one answer to proponents of luck. Read the following poem by Emily Dickinson.
Luck is not chance-
Fortune’s expensive smile
The Father of the Mine
Is that old-fashioned Coin
These beautiful lines make it clear that we make our own luck. Nothing can be left to chance. It is the same with the UPSC civil services exam also.
UPSC Civil Service Exam Successful Candidates – Common Points or Traits
IAS aspirants should know that even the “lucky” people who got through in their first attempts weren’t preparing just for a year before the exams. In most cases, their life stories go like this-
- They’ve had the civil services dream from their college or even school days.
- They began their preparation consciously or subconsciously from an early age.
- They were always in the habit of reading newspapers and keeping themselves abreast of current affairs in the country.
- They studied their NCERT’s or books in school diligently.
- They have gathered abundant knowledge and experience from their readings, travels, observations, etc. throughout their life.
- They actively pursue a hobby or special interest.
- They genuinely care about the country’s progress and development.
- They are empathetic towards the people’s sufferings and problems. They also understand and care about rural India.
- They are interested in India’s economy and regularly update themselves about news and views about the country’s economy.
- They are also interested in international political and social affairs and events.
These candidates view their first attempt seriously. They don’t take it easy counting the first attempt just as a pilot. They don’t want to waste time. They prepare smart and with intense focus. In fact, with the right guidance anyone can crack the IAS exam. All you need is the heart to work hard persistently.
Important Tips to Remember – 1st Attempt at UPSC Civil Service Exam
Are you taking the IAS prelims for the first time this year? If so, remember that the first time is the best time since you will be high on motivation and still fresh. You can make your own success story if you just keep in mind the below points:
- Know the UPSC exam pattern and syllabus.
- Learn the UPSC syllabus thoroughly.
- Get the right books and material.
- Get the current affairs notes up-to-date.
- Practice mock tests.
- Practice answer writing for the mains.
- Work hard without losing energy and hope!
The above details would help candidates prepare for UPSC 2020.
|IAS Salary||IAS Eligibility|
|UPSC Books||Static GK|
|Civil Service Exam||UPSC Syllabus|
|Best Optional Subjects for UPSC||10 Must Read Books for IAS Aspirants|