Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
World Elephant Day
- World Elephant Day is an international annual event on August 12
- The objective behind celebrating the World Elephant Day every year is to focus attention of various stakeholders to support various conservation policies to help elephants, including improving enforcement policies to prevent the illegal poaching and trade of ivory, conserving elephant habitats, providing better treatment for captive elephants and reintroducing some captive elephants into sanctuaries.
- Current population estimates for Asian elephants in the country, as per 2017 Census, are about 30,000.
- Asian elephants are confined to South Asia and South East Asia and about 60 per cent of global population of Asian elephants is found in India.
It was started in 1992, with the objectives of
- conservation and protection of viable population of wild elephants in their natural habitats in the country;
- restoration of natural habitats and traditional corridors/migratory routes or movement paths used by the elephants, wherever necessary, through eco-restoration, acquisition etc;
- ensuring safeguards against poaching and other threats;
- mitigation and control of human elephant conflicts;
- welfare and management of captive elephants; and
- Creating a viable mechanism to ensure inter-state and regional and national level coordination in protecting and conserving the elephant and its ranges.
- It is a condition caused by a dysfunction in the supply of blood to the brain due to emboli, thrombus or atherosclerosis occurring in cerebral arteries.
- According to the American Stroke Association (ASA), brain strokes are the second leading cause of death in the world with a staggering 15 million people effected causing 11 million people either die or become permanently disabled.
- Surprisingly, the prevalence of stroke is much higher in India than the West and about 87% of all strokes are ischemic strokes.
- CSIR’s new patented Clot buster PEGylated Streptokinase the novel recombinant protein is set to assist in the treatment of Strokes.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.