May 24, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
HIL (India) geared to provide locust control pesticide to Iran.
- HIL, a PSU under the Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers is in the process of production of 25 MT of Malathion Technical to supply for a locust control programme to Iran under a Government to Government arrangement.
Also read: Alien Invasive Species
Bihar Postal Circle (Department of Posts) to deliver “Shahi Lichi” and “Zardalu Mango” at doorsteps of people.
About Shahi Litchi:
- The Shahi Litchi variety grown in Muzaffarpur has high pulp and is juicier compared to the litchi grown in other parts of the country.
- In Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga and nearby areas, the conditions are ideal for litchi cultivation, because of humid conditions and alluvial soil.
- Litchi cultivation in India was initially introduced in Bengal after which it spread to other regions including Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Punjab.
- India is the second-largest producer of litchi in the world and Bihar is the leading state for litchi production in the country.
- Shahi Litchi has got a Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
About Zardalu/Jardalu Mango:
- Zardalu mango is light yellow in colour and is known for its sweet fragrance.
- They are chiefly grown in Bhagalpur in Bihar.
- They also received the GI tags.
Also read: Geographical Indication Tags in India
Emission norms for L7 (Quadricycle) category for BS VI notified.
- This notification completes the process of BS-VI for all L, M and N category vehicles in India. The emission norms are in line with EU with WMTC (World Motorcycle Test Cycle).
To know more about Bharat Stage VI, click on the linked article.
The Story of Shahapur’s Katkari Tribe.
- A youth from Katkari community and his team of 10 -12 friends started facilitating various works of the Katkari tribals at revenue offices in his native place.
- The youth and his friends started selling gilloy in local markets. The enterprise is now joined by many tribals in the area.
- Through the Van Dhan Yojana, the demand for gilloy picked up. Currently, efforts are on to have tie-ups with various retail chains for marketing the product. The scheme also provides working capital to the many SHGs involved in this venture with the tribals.
- Called Gudoochi in Ayurveda, giloy is used in medicines which treat various kinds of fever (viral fever, malaria, etc.) as well as diabetes. It is used in extract form, powder form or cream.
About Katkari Tribe:
- Katkari is one of the 75 Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups, as per the classification by Ministry of Home Affairs. They are classified as a Scheduled Tribe.
- They are located primarily in Raigad and in parts of Palghar, Ratnagiri and Thane districts as well and in some places of Gujarat.
- The British administration had classified them under the Criminal Tribes Act, 1871.
- Katkaris were historically forest dwellers.
- The name Katkari is derived from a forest-based activity – the making and barter or sale of Katechu (kath) from the khair tree (Acacia Katechu). It is produced by boiling wood from the Khair tree and evaporating the resulting brew.
- They are bilingual, speaking the Katkari language amongst themselves and Marathi with others. A few of them speak Hindi as well.
Today, most Katkaris have migrated from their forest dwellings to the plains while some hamlets are located on the hills.
May 24th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
|UPSC 2020||Government Exams|
|UPSC Current Affairs Quiz||UPSC Prelims Exam|
|UPSC Monthly Magazine for Current Affairs||IAS Eligibility|
Read more PIB articles here.