October 30th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The 15th Finance Commission concludes deliberations.
To know more about the 15th Finance Commission, click on the linked article.
Prime Minister inaugurates dynamic lighting of the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
About the Sardar Sarovar Dam:
- It is a concrete gravity dam on the Narmada river in Kevadiya near Navagam, Gujarat.
- Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Rajasthan receive water and electricity supplied from the dam.
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru had laid the foundation stone for the project in 1961. However, the construction of the project was started only in 1987.
- It was funded by the World Bank through its International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), although it withdrew in 1994.
- It is a part of the Narmada Valley Project, a large hydraulic engineering project involving the construction of a series of large irrigation and hydroelectric multi-purpose dams on the Narmada river.
- It is the second-largest concrete dam in the world in terms of the volume of concrete used to construct the dam.
- The project was a controversial one because many people objected to the construction of the dam citing environmental issues and the displacement of people.
- The Narmada Bachao Andolan was formed in order to protest against the project.
- The Supreme Court stalled the project in 1995.
- In 2000–01 the project was revived but with a lower height of 110.64 metres under directions from the SC, which was later increased in 2006 to 121.92 meters and 138.98 meters in 2017.
- The dam was inaugurated in 2017 by Prime Minister Modi.
Read previous PIB here.
October 30th, 2020, PIB:- Download PDF Here