A common question among young IAS aspirants in our country is, ‘How to start IAS preparation during graduation?’ There are many myths surrounding the UPSC civil services like only people with work experience can crack it, you can’t clear it along with any other course, you have to study fulltime only for the IAS exam, and so on. These are all myths. There are many who have cracked this, the mother of all exams in India while undergoing their graduation in college. In fact, if you are an undergraduate and wish to serve in the country’s elite services think no more and jump into action.
|Preparing for UPSC? Complement your IAS exam preparation with the following links to gain an edge over the competitors-|
There are many advantages if you start IAS preparation during graduation itself. They are:
- You will be able to study and grasp things better since you are ‘in touch’ with studies. You will find it easier to study for longer hours than your fellow IAS aspirants who are working professionals or who are coming back to studies after a gap.
- You generally have more time than your working or married counterparts to study. A typical college gets over by afternoon and you still have many hours to go during the day.
- You can choose an optional that you are currently pursuing for your graduation. This way you are touch with most of the syllabus and you don’t have to spend extra time relearning any subject.
- If you are in college, chances are you are being supported financially by your family. This eases your tension and you can concentrate more on your UPSC preparation.
- You can also take advantage of the facilities your college offers like free Wi-Fi and library. College libraries are generally well-stocked and you can have access to all the books you need for IAS preparation.
- Finally, you have age and time on your side. Check out UPSC criterion for age and number of attempts here.
Candidates can go through the following links for the preparation of the exam-
How to start IAS preparation during graduation?
- First things first, get to know more about the UPSC civil services. Be well-versed with the UPSC exam pattern and UPSC syllabus.
- Prepare a daily regimen giving ample space to study for your graduation as well as the IAS exam. Read more about time management. Be a stickler for the schedule if you are serious about cracking the UPSC civil services exam.
- Inculcate the habit of reading the daily newspaper.
- Be up-to-date on current affairs. Be familiar with Yojana, PIB, ministries websites, etc.
- If you want to become an IAS officer, no procrastinating studies, no party days like other undergrad college students. You can take a timeout for sure, but they should be few and far between.
- You can opt for coaching or you can fly solo. But if you are a newbie in this field, you might want to take some guidance on the UPSC exams.
- Don’t fret over your lack of experience in the work field or in life itself. A fresh slate can absorb the maximum knowledge. Turn your perceived weakness into an advantage by engrossing yourself fully into your IAS preparation and achieving your dream goal.
- Assess your UPSC preparation periodically by testing yourself. This is very important to give you an idea of where you stand and where and how to course-correct your IAS preparation.
Understand that you must be a graduate to attempt the IAS exam. You cannot take the exam while you are graduating. Graduation is the minimum educational qualification needed to take the UPSC exam.
The fact that you have identified your dream goal even while graduating is commendable. Now, gather your courage and will power and show the world what you are capable of.