Saansad Aadarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) is a village development project under which each Member of Parliament (MP) owned the responsibility to develop the institutional and physical infrastructure in three villages by 2019. The scheme aims to develop five ‘Adarsh Villages’ or ‘Model Villages’ by 2024.
This article will provide IAS Exam aspirants, information on the scheme as it comes under UPSC Mains GS-II. Download the SAGY notes PDF through the link provided at the end of the article.
|To cover important topics of the UPSC Syllabus, you can check the following links:|
What is Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY)?
SAGY popularly known as ‘Saanjhi’ was launched by PM Narendra Modi under the Government of India on 11th October 2014. SAGY is a development programme project focusing mainly on the social and cultural development of the villages. Under this yojana, each member of the parliament is responsible for developing the institutional and physical infrastructure in three villages each by the year 2019. Saansad Aadarsh Gram Yojana was established with an aim to develop three villages by 2019 followed by the development of five Adarsh Grams by the year 2024. It also aims at achieving objectives apart from infrastructure development along with developing various model villages.
Aspirants can also read about the Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADs) in the linked article.
Objectives of Saansad Aadarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY)
The main objectives of SAGY are:
- To trigger processes which lead to the holistic development of the identified Gram Panchayats.
- Improving the standard of living and quality of life of all sections of the population by improving the basic amenities, enhancing human development, creating higher productivity, enhancing human development, providing better livelihood opportunities, reducing disparities and enriching social capital.
- Generating models of local level development and effective local governance to motivate and inspire the neighbouring Gram Panchayats for adaptation.
- To nurture the identified Adarsh Grams as schools of local development to train other Gram Panchayats.
In order to achieve these objectives, SAGY would be guided by the following approach:
- Leveraging the leadership, capacity, commitment and energy of the Members of Parliament (MP) to develop model Gram Panchayats
- Engaging with and mobilizing the community for participatory local level development.
- Converging different government programmes and private and voluntary initiatives to achieve comprehensive development in tune with people’s aspirations and local potential.
- Building partnerships with voluntary organisations, co-operatives and academic and research institutions.
- Focusing on outcomes and sustainability.
What does Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana Aim for?
- Personal development: To maintain the cleanliness of the villages and to develop the cultural heritage, behavioural changes and personal values of the village people.
- Human development: To provide education and social security to the villages. It also aims to improve the health and nutrition of the village people.
- To look after the economic development of the villages.
- To introduce social development programmes which should include voluntarism, social justice and good governance.
Who are the functioning bodies of SAGY?
There are several functionaries under Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana at the national, state, district, and village level. The responsibilities of these key functionaries are mentioned in the table below:
|Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana|
|Member of Parliament||
|Two national committees, headed by the Minister of Rural Development, and Secretary, Rural Development, respectively.||
|A state committee headed by the Chief Secretary||
Candidates should follow the latest developments in Current Affairs related to other government schemes for their UPSC 2023 preparation.
Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (UPSC Notes):- Download PDF Here
|Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maan-Dhan Yojana||UPSC Syllabus||Current Affairs|
|UPSC Notes||UPSC Calendar 2023||Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)|
|Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana||Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana||Government Schemes|