UPSC Exam Preparation: Summary of The Big Picture – RSTV: The PM’S Independence Day speech
Aug 15, 2017
- On the occasion of 71st Independence Day, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi addressed the nation from the ramparts of the Red fort, New Delhi. The PM arrived at the venue after paying homage to the father of nation Mahatma Gandhi at Raj Ghat.
- This was the fourth Independence Day speech of PM Modi and he had asked all Indians to share their ideas for his speech and received over 8.5 thousand messages from all over the country.
- The prime minister spoke on varied issues ranging from farmer issues, GST, demonetization, terrorism, triple talaq etc.
Important points of the PM’s speech
- The prime minister began his speech by paying rich tributes to all the freedom fighters who fought restlessly and selflessly to free India from the shackles of British imperialism.
- PM called 2017 a special year as it is the year of 75th anniversary of Quit India, 100th anniversary of Champaran Satyagraha and 125th anniversary of Ganesh Utsav.
- He said during the Quit India movement the slogan was “Bharat chhodo” (quit India), while the new slogan for new India is “Bharat jodo” (unite India).
- He spoke of creating a “New India” where people are equal and asked the fellow countrymen to move forward for making a New India with the collective strength of 125 crore people without any discrimination of small and big people.
- He said New India will be the biggest strength of democracy and People’s participation would be the driving force behind the establishment of the New India rather than the other way around.
- To underline the importance of people’s participation in the growth of democracy, he said “Tantra se Lok nahin, Lok se tantra chalega” (People should be the driving force behind the establishment rather than the other way around).
- He said good governance, competitive co-operative federalism, inclusive growth are the necessary pre requisites to achieve the dream of New India.
- While speaking about the inclusive growth achieved by the country, he said today, the poor of the country is joining the main stream and the country is moving towards the path of progress.
- He mentioned some of the steps taken to further the agenda of inclusive growth like devoting significant attention to eastern India- Bihar, Assam, West Bengal, Odisha, Northeast, over 5.75 crore farmers have been covererd under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beema Yojaana, under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana, 30 projects have been completed while work is on for 50 more projects, more than 14000 un-electrified villages have been electrified, over 29 crore JanDhan accounts have been opened etc.
- He said the fight against black money and corruption will continue and move forward and the loot in the country will not be allowed.
- He hailed demonetization and passage of the Benami Act as major steps, which reduced corruption and black money in the country.
- He said Black money worth Rs. 1.25 lakh crore has been unearthed and about 1.75 lakh fake companies have been shut down.
- He called GST as a great step towards furthering the agenda of co-operative federalism. He said Post GST savings and efficiency in transportation sector has increased and efficiency has gone up by 30 percent.
- He said casteism, communalism and terrorism will not be accepted in Indian society any more as India is about Shanti (peace), Ekta (unity) and Sadbhavana (goodwill). He admired the courage of women who have suffered due to practices like “triple talaq”.
- He also said violence of any form in the name of ‘Astha'(faith/devotion) will not be accepted.
- The PM asked all the stake holders to work together to solve the issues in Jammu and Kashmir and to work towards the progress of the state.
- The Prime Minister asserted that the solution to the Jammu and Kashmir problem can be found neither by bullets nor by abuses but by embracing.
- He sent stern warnings to those involved in anti-national activities and said the question of terrorism or terrorists will not be dealt softly.
- The PM wholeheartedly congratulated the uniformed forces for maintaining peace and tranquility both inside and outside the country.
- The Prime Minister also spoke about harnessing the demographic dividend of the country and said the aim is to create job creators and not job seekers.
- He concluded the speech by driving home the point that the aspiration is to build a clean, healthy, corruption free, nepotism free Divya and Bhavya Bharat.