UPSC IAS Mains Exam is the most important phase which decides the fate of UPSC candidates. The UPSC mains exam has nine papers. The General Studies Paper I deals with World History. American Revolution is an important part of World History. Here we are giving the key terms in American Revolution.
Treaty of Paris 1763
- A treaty signed by both Britain and the United States that ended the Revolutionary War.
Stamp Act of 1765
- It was an Act of the Parliament of Great Britain that levied a direct tax on the colonies of British America.
- Legal documents, Papers of Ship, licenses, other publications, and playing cards were taxed.
- When a King or Queen has whole control over the administration of a nation.
- The King and Queen were not restricted by any written laws, legislature, or customs.
- When a King or Queen has certain power but must work with a parliament to decide how the country is run.
Divine Right of Kings
- The belief that kings obtain their power from God and are answerable only to God.
- It is a cluster of delegates from each state or colony.
- It turned into the first governing body of the United States of America.
First Continental Congress
- Meeting of the 13 American colonies to discuss how they would deal with the British.
Second Continental Congress
- The second meeting of the 13 American colonies where their army was created.
Read more | Important events in World History till 1950
Articles of Confederation
- It is a contract between the 13 colonies to form a single government under the United States of America.
- It served as the first Constitution of the nation.
Bill of Rights
- It refers to the first 10 amendments to the Constitution that assured the rights of the individual.
- It was drafted by James Madison.
No Taxation without Representation
- It is a slogan shouted by Americans angry at the British as they had to pay tax but had no say in how the country was run.
- It is also known as ‘Incident on King Street’ by the British.
- It took place on March 5, 1770.
- It refers to the killing of five Americans protesting against British taxes.
- It is another name for the nationalists who battled against the British government for independence.
Tea Act of 1773
- It was an Act of the Parliament of Great Britain.
- This law made American companies pay tax on tea to the British.
- It is considered as the catalyst of the Boston Tea Party.
Boston Tea Party
- It was an incident that took place on 1773.
- Around 342 trunks of tea belonging to the British East India Company were thrown away from ships into the Boston Harbour by American nationalists camouflaged as Mohawk Indians.
- It is a series of four acts passed by the British Parliament.
- Taxes imposed by the British in America on things such as glass paint and paper.
- The British American colonists named the acts after Charles Townshend who supported them.
Declaration of Independence
- A document which proclaimed that the American colonies now regarded themselves independent states and they would no longer be responsible to the authority of Great Britain.
- Last battle of the war of independence in 1781 where the British surrendered.
War of Independence (1775-1783)
- War fought by American colonials against Britain for independence.
Tune into byjus.com/free-ias-prep for more strategy articles and news on UPSC Civil Services IAS Exam