TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. TRIFED takes up initiative for Tribal Development 2. Licensing framework for Audio Conferencing/Audiotex/Voice Mail Services 3. Quantum Computing 4. National Workshop on Bamboo Development Mission
Syllabus: GS 2; Social Justice, Welfare schemes for the vulnerable sections of the population
Prelims: About TRIFED, MSP, Van Dhan Yojana
Mains: Role of TRIFED in Tribal Development
Context: TRIFED took effective steps for the betterment of livelihood opportunities for tribals. The Van Dhan programme has been a landmark initiative by TRIFED which is spearheading in 25 states and 307 districts.
About the Initiative:
- TRIFED has signed an MoU with Rambhau Mhalgi Prabodhini – Nation First Policy Research Centre (RMP-NFPRC) with the aim of leveraging knowledge, expertise and institutional strengths.
- It will open up avenues for marketing of Minor Forest Produce through Minimum Support Price and develop a value chain. This will enable the provision of remunerative and fair prices to tribal gatherers of forest produce and add to the sustainability of the tribal ecosystem.
- The Van Dhan Vikas Yojana has emerged as a source of employment generation for tribal gatherers, forest dwellers and home-bound tribal artisans.
The Strategic areas of TRIFED – RMP NFPRC joint venture:
- Development and execution of research projects around tribal development and related activities.
- Engage in assessing and reviewing the existing and upcoming government schemes like Van Dhan Yojana.
- Publish research findings in the form of joint reports.
- Promote and spread research, conduct sessions and meetings with experts on the topic.
- Allowing access to information from regional offices, state implementing agencies and other entities relevant to the scope of the project.
- The exchange of information with the provision of access to personnel and data relevant to the research at hand.
Syllabus: GS 2; Governance, Government Policies and Interventions for development in various sectors
Prelims: About TRAI and new rules
Mains: Policy reforms in the telecom sector
Context: The Government has issued a licensing framework for Audio Conferencing/Audiotex/Voice Mail Services under unified license after examining the recommendations made by TRAI. The new framework will be effective from the 1st of January, 2022.
Highlights of the New Framework:
- Under unified license, a new chapter has been added for the authorisation titled “Audio Conferencing/Audiotex/Voice Mail Service”.
- The Department of Telecommunications has notified that no separate license will be required for audio conferencing and audiotex services as it will be a part of the Unified License from 2022.
- Audio Conferencing can be connected with mobile phones/PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) and IP network platforms as per the norms.
- Dial out facility will be allowed even if more than one access service provider is used and it is subject to license conditions.
- Point-to-point conferencing has been allowed for offering services to Registered Enterprises in India.
- The service area for license under the new framework has been changed to the national level.
- For the standalone license of Voice Mail Services/Audiotex the service area will be SDCA (Short Distance Charging Area).
- The license fees of the new licensees and existing licensees will be 8% of the AGR (Adjusted Gross Revenue).
Syllabus: GS 3; Science and Technology, Awareness in the field of Computers
Prelims: About quantum computing
Mains: New developments in the field of science and technology
Context: A group of scientists from the Raman Research Institute, Bangalore measured the spin properties of atoms cooled at micro-Kelvin temperatures and observed an increase in the efficiency of the quantum systems.
What is the spin property of an atom?
- The spin of an atom is the intrinsic property of the fundamental subatomic particles to carry an angular momentum which is continuously variable.
About the study:
- The scientists developed a new technique to study the correlation between waves in the atoms which are long-lived at ultra-low temperatures and their implication in the quantum properties of atoms.
- The long-lived spin coherence is a better resource as quantum computers as it allows better quantum operations than the systems with short-lived spin coherences.
- Spin is a fundamental quantum property of an atom and its elementary particles like electrons and protons.
- At low temperatures, the quantum properties become more prominent.
- The scientists measured the spin dynamics of the atoms at absolute zero temperature using polarization fluctuation measurements; at this temperature, quantum properties dominate over classical observations.
- The lifetime of an atomic spin state with a million-fold improvement in detection sensitivity was observed.
- It was proven that the spin coherence at low temperatures is long-lived.
Application of the study:
- This technique of increasing quantum efficiency of atoms using ultra-low temperature can be used to make devices that can precisely detect small magnetic fields which can be of potential use in mining, biomedical imaging, quantum computing and quantum sensing with secure communication.
- It can offer a better understanding of the real-time dynamics of quantum phase transitions.
Read more about Quantum Computing in the linked article.
Syllabus: GS 3; Economy, Supply Chain Management
Prelims: About the National Bamboo Mission
Mains: Significance in promoting the bamboo industry
Context: The NITI Aayog has organized a national level workshop on bamboo development to promote the bamboo value chain, plantation, production, processing standardization and utilization along with the development of strategies and roadmap for the development of a circular economy in the bamboo industry.
Read more about National Bamboo Mission in the linked article.
Read previous PIB here.
December 30th, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here