Science & Technology also called General Science by the UPSC, is an important part of the syllabus for Prelims. Along with Ecology and Environment, it contributed more than twenty questions to the Prelims paper I in 2019. It had contributed 20-30 questions in 2017 and 2018. In the Mains exam, General Studies Paper III has Technology, Environment and Biodiversity as important parts of the IAS Syllabus. As it has consistently been an important area of focus for the UPSC Syllabus, candidates must study Science & Technology well. NCERT books are the fundamental sources that one must read to prepare for this subject. In this article, we will discuss which are the important NCERT chapters for IAS 2021.
Read more on Science & Technology for Prelims by checking out:
NCERT General Science Books for UPSC
The following NCERT books are recommended for covering the Science & Technology part of the syllabus for Prelims:
- Science: Textbook for Class VI
- Science: Textbook for Class VII
- Science: Textbook for Class VIII
- Science: Textbook for Class IX
- Science: Textbook for Class X
- Biology: Textbook for Class XI
- Biology: Textbook for Class XII
- Chemistry: Textbook for Class XII
IAS candidates should read these books from cover to cover at least once to gain an idea of the subject. However, all the chapters from these books are not required to be studied thoroughly. This is because many of the concepts covered in lower classes get repeated in detail in higher classes. Here is a list of chapters from each book that UPSC aspirants have to cover in-depth for the exam:
|NCERT Class VI Science||
|Class VII Science||
|Class VIII Science||
|Class IX Science||
|Class X Science||
|Class XI Biology||
|Class XII Biology||
|Class XII Chemistry||
Important points to remember:
- Candidates should keep themselves updated on the latest developments in Science & Technology by reading the relevant sections of the Hindu. You should also read about the basic science applied for the developments.
- You should classify science-related topics from Current Affairs into Biology, Chemistry, and Physics etc. to organize the topics for revision.
NCERT Books build the foundation of knowledge on which aspirants can base their preparation. Once the basic concepts are cleared, they can move on to other sources of information and apply the knowledge gained for the UPSC exam. It is very important to take NCERT notes while preparing for Prelims as it would help revise concepts from time to time.
For more information on UPSC exam, please visit: