The Ramon Magsaysay Award was established to recognise those who have demonstrated the greatness of spirit in service to Asian peoples, regardless of race, gender, or religion. It is named after Ramon Magsaysay, a former Philippine President who died tragically in 1957.
In 1957, the Ramon Magsaysay Award was established. Every year since 1858, it has been handed to the victorious. Some have termed the Ramon Magsaysay Awards “Asia’s Nobel Prize.”
These awards are very important for current affairs for competitive exam preparation. The aspirants who are preparing for UPSC 2022 must study these awards in detail.
The candidates can read similar topics from the links provided below:
|Gallantry And Civilian Awards||List of Padma Award Winners 2022|
|Nobel Prize Winners||Dadasaheb Phalke Awards|
|Booker Prize Winner||Laureus World Sport Awards|
Overview of Ramon Magsaysay Award
In 1957, former Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay was honoured for his example of integrity and idealism in a democratic country. The Rockefeller Brothers’ trustees worked with the Philippine government to assist it.
Following the conflict, Ramon Magsaysay became the Philippines’ third president. This organisation recognises Asians who excel in their disciplines. It’s broken down into six sections, five of which were eliminated in 2009:
- Government Service (Until 2008)
- Public Service (Until 2008)
- Community Leadership (Until 2008)
- Journalism, literature, and creative communication arts (Until 2008)
- Peace and International Understanding (Until 2008)
- Emergent Leadership (2001–)
- Uncategorized (2009–)
|About Ramon Magsaysay:
Details about Ramon Magsaysay Award
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award is chosen and presented every year.
- Regardless of colour, creed, gender, or nationality, the Award recognises and honours individuals and organisations from all across Asia who have distinguished themselves and generously helped others without seeking public attention.
- Over the last five decades, the medal has been presented to over 300 individuals and organisations. Each year, the foundation’s trustees select the recipients, who are presented with a certificate and a medal with a picture of Ramon Magsaysay.
- The prize is presented in a ceremonial ceremony in Manila, the Philippines’ capital, every year on August 31.
- The inaugural Ramon Magsaysay Awards were given to five individuals and a Philippine-based organisation from India, Indonesia, the Philippines, China (Taiwan), and Sri Lanka.
- The award includes a plaque and a medallion with an embossed image of Ramon Magsaysay facing right in profile, as well as a cash prize.
- Eligibility: Asians who have excelled in their vocations and have a reputation for freely serving others without seeking public acclaim.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award, Asia’s highest honour, honours the greatness of spirit demonstrated through selfless devotion to Asia’s people.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation (RMAF) is in charge of administering the Ramon Magsaysay Award (RMA) (RMAF).
- Each year, the Ramon Magsaysay Awardees are chosen by the RMAF’s board of trustees.
|Kickstart your IAS preparation now and complement it with the links given below:|
Ramon Magsaysay Award in India
Ravish Kumar, an Indian journalist, received the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 2019 for “using journalism to give voice to the voiceless.”
Ramon Magsaysay Award Categories
The Ramon Magsaysay Award was given out every year between 1958 and 2008 in six categories:
- Government Service
- Public Service
- Community Leadership,
- Journalism, Literature, and Creative Communication Arts
- Peace and International Understanding
- Emergent Leadership
The category of Emergent Leadership was inaugurated in 2000 and is supported by a grant from the Ford Foundation.
Starting in 2009, the Ramon Magsaysay Award is no longer being given in fixed award categories, except for Emergent Leadership.
The award under “Emergent Leadership” is given to recognise an individual, forty years of age or younger, for outstanding work on issues of social change in his or her community, but whose leadership may not yet be broadly recognised outside that community.
List of Ramon Magsaysay Awardees, 2021
The Ramon Magsaysay Awardees of 2021 are given below:
|Name of the Awardee and Country||Description|
|Dr. Firdausi Qadri, Bangladesh||Affordable vaccine champion|
|Steven Muncy, South-East Asia||Humanitarian; Peacebuilder|
|Muhammad Amjad Saqib, Pakistan||Poverty Alleviation Visionary|
|Roberto Ballon, Philippines||Fisherman and Community Environmentalist|
|WatchDoc, Indonesia||Media Truth Crusaders|
Frequently Asked Questions about Ramon Magsaysay Award
What is the Ramon Magsaysay Award?
The Ramon Magsaysay Award is Asia’s greatest honour and distinction, which was established in 1957. It is named after Ramon Magsaysay, the third president of the Philippines.
How significant is the Ramon Magsaysay Award?
Individuals and organisations throughout Asia who have achieved distinction and generously benefited others without seeking public praise are recognised and acknowledged, regardless of race, creed, gender, or nationality.
What are the Ramon Magsaysay Award categories?
There were five categories for awards until 2009: government service, public service, community leadership, journalism, literature, and creative communication arts; peace and international understanding; and journalism, literature, and creative communication arts.
After 2009, the award is given only for the Emergent Leadership category.
How are the recipients of the Ramon Magsaysay Award chosen?
After 2009, the Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation selects the awardees for the Emergent Leadership field on a yearly basis. Awardees get a certificate, a medallion with an embossed picture of Ramon Magsaysay, and a monetary prize.
What is the Ramon Magsaysay Award’s common name?
The award is regarded around the world as Asia’s Nobel Prize.
UPSC Preparation Links: