Avenues to Study after Entering the Civil Services

‘Civil services’ is one of the most coveted professions in India. There are a lot of benefits and perks available to an individual who enters the civil services. Apart from these, he/she enjoys considerable power and authority. But perhaps the best and the most underrated perk is that a civil servant gets an opportunity to pursue higher education in top universities in India and abroad. This article discusses the avenues to study that a person gets after entering the civil services.

An officer can take up to two years’ paid leave to pursue higher education, but he/she has to sign an undertaking stating that he/she will not resign from service for three years upon rejoining work. Sometimes the government itself will send officers outside the country to study job-relevant courses.

For more information regarding the IAS Exam, aspirants can visit the linked article.

Get acquainted with Indian Administrative Service by referring to the following links:

Top Ten Reasons to Aim for the IAS
Benefits of an IAS officer – Salary, Facilities and Powers
Salary of an IAS Officer in India per Month

Things to remember for sabbatical leave for IAS for studies:

  • You will get two years’ paid leave to continue your education.
  • You will not be allowed to resign from service for three years after resuming work.
  • You should have completed at least nine years in service (six years for officers of the North-East cadre).
  • Your educational break from service cannot last for more than two years.
  • Some universities offer courses especially for IAS like Harvard, Princeton, etc.
  • You will of course, have to apply to the government to pursue your education taking a service break. The courses which you apply for will have to be approved by the Central Establishment Board (CEB). It will make the decision on a case-by-case basis and the recommendations of the concerned cadre-controlling authorities. The courses will be approved only if they are in the public interest and of relevance to the government.
  • You can receive $35000 and $45000 for the first and second years of study respectively for top 30 universities under the Times Higher Education World University ranking.
  • For the top 31-100 ranked universities, you can receive $25000 and $35000 for the first and second years respectively.
  • Funding is given for Post-Graduation, PhD and all regular MBA courses being undertaken by the officers of Group ‘A’ Services.
  • The foreign universities include British, American, European, Asian, Middle-Eastern, Australian, New Zealand and Canadian Universities.
  • If you have gone abroad on ‘foreign training’ earlier can become eligible again after a cooling-off period of five years.
  • As an officer, you should have a clean record in service to be eligible for this study leave. It would help if you did not have any pending departmental procedures against your name.
  • Sometimes, the government funds your entire higher education. Sometimes it is only partial funding.

Now, if you are wondering how to get into civil services, follow the links below and start your journey:

UPSC 2023 UPSC Syllabus
IAS Interview Questions UPSC Exam Pattern
IAS Toppers UPSC Cut Off


Leave a Comment

Your Mobile number and Email id will not be published.