TABLE OF CONTENTS
Tourism Minister to address the conference ‘Tourism in Buddhist Circuits – A way forward’ at Kushinagar.
What’s in the news?
- The Kushinagar International Airport was inaugurated at Kushinagar, UP.
- The airport is expected to provide seamless connectivity to tourists from Sri Lanka, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and so on.
Kushinagar in the Buddhist Circuit:
- Kushinagar is the centre of the Buddhist circuit, which consists of pilgrimage sites at Lumbini, Sarnath and Gaya.
- Buddhist pilgrims consider Kushinagar a sacred site where, they believe, Gautama Buddha delivered his last sermon and attained ‘Mahaparinirvana’ or salvation.
Know more about the Buddhist Circuit in the link.
Martand Sun Temple:
- The ruins of the Martand Sun Temple are located 64-km south-east of Srinagar, J&K.
- It is in district Anantnag.
- It is built in the Nagara style of temple architecture and is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India.
- The temple, dedicated to Surya (Sun God), was built in the 8th century CE by King Lalitaditya of the Karkota Dynasty.
- The temple turns out to be the largest example of a peristyle in Kashmir.
- It can be said it was an excellent specimen of Kashmiri architecture, which had blended the Gandharan, Gupta and Chinese forms of architecture.
- The temple was destroyed on the orders of Sikandar Shah Miri, ruler of the Shah Miri dynasty of Kashmir.
Read previous PIB here.
October 19th, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here
|Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana||New Development Bank (NDB)
||Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM)
|IAS General Studies Notes Links|
|Kerala Public Service Commission||Dynasties In India|
|UPSC Optional Subjects||Cbfc|
|Convention On Biological Diversity||Round Table Conference|
|India China Relations UPSC||Sex Ratio|