Anita Kaul was a 1979 batch IAS officer, who served in various districts of Karnataka. She served as Deputy Commissioner of Chickmangalur, Shivamoga and Gulbarga districts before getting posted on Central Government deputation.
- Anita Kaul reformed the Indian elementary education system, she understood the importance of education in the development story of a nation.
- Anita Kaul played a major role behind Right to Education (RTE) Act 2009.
- She was the driving force behind implementation of Nali Kali in Karnataka’s primary schools.
- Retired as Secretary, Department of Justice, highest ranking civil servant in the Ministry of Law and Justice.
- Was Director of National Literacy Mission and successfully implemented Total Literacy campaign across all districts in India.
- She played a vital role in National Judicial Appointments Commission Bill, 2014.
- Mahila Samikhya women empowerment program in Karnataka.
For more details on the exam conducted by UPSC, candidates can visit our IAS Exam page.
What is Right To Education (RTE) Act?
- It was an Act enacted by Parliament of India in 2009.
- Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry implemented RTE Act
- This Act made provision of education for all children the age group 6 yrs- 14 yrs, a Fundamental Right.
- With this Act, India became one of the 135 countries to make education a fundamental right.
What is Nali and Kali (Play and Learn)
- Nali Kali means play and learn, a project implemented by Anita Kaul in the sphere of education.
- This is system of activity based learning.
- Developed as part of UNICEF pilot project.
- It was implemented in Mysore District of Karnataka.
- The objective was to retain students in school as well as increase the enrollment in schools.
- This program allows every child to assess his/her own progress.
- In 2008, this program was implemented in 14,000 schools in Karnataka.
What is Mahila Samikhya Program?
This is one of programs Anita Kaul was closely associated with.
- It is a women empowerment program started in Karnataka
- It is a program to build awareness, and skills in women
- This program tried to deal and overcome the various problems faced by women like issues of self confidence, regressive social customs.
- Set up residential camps, centers for early childhood development.
- The target segment was school drop out girls from socially and marginalized communities.
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2021.
|IAS Salary||IAS Eligibility|
|Civil Service Exam||IAS Toppers|
|Government Exams||UPSC Syllabus|