NERLP full form is North East Rural Livelihood Project. It is a World Bank aided project, being implemented by the Ministry of DoNER, provides skill development training, vocational training to unemployed youths & Self Help Groups (SHGs) in 11 districts of four North East States namely Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
Facts related to NE RLP are important for candidates preparing for competitive exams. Questions based on the North East Rural Livelihood Project can be asked under the general awareness section of various Government exams.
Hence, aspirants must go through the article carefully that aims to discuss the background, significance and objective of North East Rural Livelihood Project.
NERLP – About the Project
- North-East Rural Livelihood Project was launched in 2012.
- NERLP is a multi-state ₹683 crore project that is aided by the World Bank. Read more on the World bank on the given link.
- The Project is under the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER)
- NERLP has been implemented in 11 districts of Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim.
- It has focussed on five development strategies that are –
- Social empowerment
- Economic empowerment
- Partnership development,
- Project management and
- Livelihood & value chain developments.
- The project also works in partnerships with expert organizations to focus on cluster development through value chains.
Candidates can also go through the relevant facts on NRLM – National Rural Livelihood Mission on the link provided here.
NERLP – Aim
The project aims “to improve rural livelihoods especially that of women, unemployed youth and the most disadvantaged, in four North Eastern States”.
Candidates can read about the NEC- North-east Council the nodal agency for the social and economic development of the North Eastern Region in India.
|Gain an edge over your competition to competitive exams in the first attempt! Check the links for comprehensive preparation –|
North East Rural Livelihood Project – Objectives
- Create sustainable community institutions around women Self-Help Groups (SHGs), Youth Groups of men and women (YG) and Community Development Groups (CDG).
# Self-help Groups are informal associations of people who come together to find ways to improve their living conditions. They are generally self-governed and peer-controlled. Know more on Self-Help Groups (SHGs) on the linked page.
- The objective of NERLP is to increase economic and livelihood opportunities.
- Build capacity of community institutions for self-governance, bottom-up planning, democratic functioning with transparency and accountability.
- Develop a partnership of community institutions for natural resource management, microfinance, market linkages, and sectoral economic services.
NERLP – Outcomes of North East Livelihood Project
NERLP intervention has brought many positive changes. A few are discussed here –
- The lives of about 18,00,000 (18 lakh) population have been impacted by NERLP, with creation of common economic assets worth around INR 136 Crores.
- Under this project, the Skills development and placement has trained 10462 boys and girls in various job skills and a total of 5494 of them are employed today.
- The North East Rural Livelihood Project (NERLP) has empowered rural poor and improved livelihoods of about 300,000 rural households in 1,645 villages under 58 development blocks across the eleven districts of four North-East states.
- The activities undertaken by Community Development Groups include reclamation of wasteland, construction of check-dams, plantation, horticulture projects, provision of village electrification through hydrogen, provision of solar lighting, Springwater harvest to mitigating water needs for homestead farming, animal rearing, health and sanitation.
- Livelihood activities pursued by Self Help Group (SHG) members have increased considerably, thus increasing family incomes.
- Women have become more knowledgeable and expressive and they display better leadership qualities.
- Communities are emerging active and vibrant through enthusiastic participation in the process of development and assuming ownership.
- One SHG leader has become a Cabinet Minister in the state legislature in Tripura, and many SHG leaders are Panchayat leaders today.
Aspirants can read about the Panchayati Raj institution on the linked page.
Aspirants preparing for any government exams can visit the link provided to prepare even better for the examination-
- Free Online Quiz for Government Exams
- Government Exams Free Mock Test Series
- Government Exam Previous Year Question Papers with Solution PDFs
|NERLP – Key Facts|
|Name of the Project||NERLP – North East Rural Livelihood Project|
|Year of Launch||2012|
|Name of the Ministry||Ministry of Development of North-East Region|
|Funded by||World Bank|
|Aim||improve rural livelihoods especially that of women, unemployed youth and the most disadvantaged|
|Implemented||11 districts of Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.|
Candidates preparing for various competitive exams can check the related links given below-
|National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development – NABARD||National Urban Health Mission (NUHM)|
|National Rural Health Mission||RSTV BIG Picture – North East Growth Potential|
To know more about other Government Schemes visit the linked article.
Aspirants preparing for the UPSC exam can check the links given below –
You can also check out the preparation strategies for competitive exams to fine-tune your exam prep.