Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative is a credit plus approach by NABARD that integrates twin drip irrigation systems in sugarcane cultivation. This initiative aims to promote sustainable and intelligent agronomic practices.
SSI helps create market linkages with the sugar factories and reduce the ecological footprint in sugarcane farming techniques. This initiative offers technological and financial support to farmers under UPNRM to promote scientific production systems.
Students preparing for competitive exams like IAS or UPSC 2023 can follow this article to get detailed information on SSI.
|Kickstart your civil services exam preparation and complement it with the links given below:|
What is the Objective of Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative (SSI)?
The Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative is implemented under the Umbrella Programme for Natural Resource Management, sugar cooperatives of Maharashtra and NABARD.
This project is again helpful for small and marginal farmers due to flexible intercropping facilities, better yield opportunities and reduced fertiliser usage.
India is the second-largest sugarcane producer in the world. As a matter of fact, sugar production helps sustain the livelihood of about 35 million farmers. This initiative promotes the cause by implementing eco-friendly farming techniques.
Farmers are encouraged to follow SSI by offering them financial help, subsidised seedlings, exposure visits and organic manure.
The Government offered single eye budded seedlings to farmers from Vasantdada Sugar Institute (VSI), Pune. They were encouraged to practice intercropping of groundnut, sugarcane and soybean.
Nevertheless, here are the objectives of the said program. Individuals can follow these points to answer the Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative UPSC questions confidently.
- Help farmers raise nursery using single budded chips.
- Supporting organic method of plant protection and nutrient measures.
- Transfering 25-35 days-old seedlings to a protected place.
- Explaining to farmers the importance of maintaining wide spacing between crops in the field.
- Encouraging farmers to practice intercropping for effective utilisation of land.
Apart from these factors, UPSC prelims and IAS exam aspirants should know the impact of SSI for a detailed understanding.
Also, refer to the links given below:
|Health Care Sector in India||Health Protection Scheme|
|National Ayush Mission||National Digital Health Mission (NDHM)|
|Pandemic & Public Health System: Rajya Sabha TV (RSTV) – Big Picture||Affordable Healthcare – Rajya Sabha TV (RSTV): In-Depth|
What is the Impact of SSI?
- Nearly 280 acres were brought under drip irrigation with SSI cultivation. This is the largest area among sugar factories in India.
- Twin interventions of drip and SSI techniques led to increased productivity from 60 MT sugarcane to 92 MT.
Having a clear idea of the benefits of the Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative will help IAS, and UPSC exam aspirants prepare notes carefully.
What are the Benefits of Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative?
- This initiative ensures the 100 % survival of transplanted saplings without gap filling.
- It reduces the use of seeds, water and fertilisers for sustainable output. This initiative believes in increasing the yield using fewer inputs.
- SSI cultivation increases crop yield by 20-30%.
- It cuts down the cost of farming by up to 25% by reducing product usage.
- This program reduces plant mortality rate and helps produce superior quality sugarcane.
- Reduction in the cost of fertigation.
- It aims to create jobs for women and men in rural areas in the seedling manufacturing process.
- This scheme uses funds to subsidise the cost of seedlings and hold educational campaigns for farmers for awareness.
- This technique helps save large quantities of water up to 940,000 m3 annually.
- SSI aims to promote sustainable farming techniques among 20,000 farmers in five years.
- A farmer can save up to Rs.88,000 per acre by implementing SSI techniques.
- Individuals can bring down water usage and save up to 50% for environmental protection.
Hopefully, the provided information on Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative will help individuals prepare for UPSC exam. They can refer to educational platforms or download Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative PDF format notes for preparation.
Additionally, keeping a tab on the official website and news portals will help students answer the current affairs section without much hassle.
Other Related Links
|IAS Salary||Previous Year UPSC Prelims Polity Questions With Solutions|
|National Rural Health Mission (NRHM)||Indian Polity Notes PDF|
|Poverty Alleviation Programmes and Policies||List of Government Schemes in Indi|
Frequently Asked Questions
How is SSI cost-effective as compared to conventional farming?
The seed cost is way cheaper in Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative techniques than conventional farming.
What are the two innovative techniques applied in Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative?
Farmers can use drip farming and intercropping techniques in Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative. This is an ecological way of increasing yield without substantial spending.
What is the primary goal of the Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative?
Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative aims to cultivate sugarcane by reducing inputs and applying new farming methods. It believes in the usage of fewer seeds and water while enhancing the use of land and organic fertilisers.