India is the Seventh-Largest country by area and second-largest by population and also the most populous democracy in the world. The syllabus encompasses various fields like geography, history, economy, technology, environment. The UPSC Civil Service Exam aspirant must be well versed with static General Knowledge pertaining to India. This article gives a comprehensive list of basic information on India.
Aspirants would find this article very helpful while preparing for the IAS Exam.
|Aspirants should begin their preparation by solving UPSC Previous Year Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
Before starting the UPSC preparation, aspirants should know about the basic information about the country, administrative mechanisms, etc. Here we are giving general information about India which is essential to know.
For UPSC IAS Exam, the candidate should know about their country very well in all perspectives.
|Name||The Republic of India|
|Other Names of India||· Hindustan
|Official Languages||Hindi and English|
|Independence||15th August 1947|
|Head of a country||President|
|Head of government||Prime Minister|
|Apex judicial body||Supreme Court|
|National Emblem||Lion of Sarnath|
|National Anthem||Jana Gana Mana|
|National Song||Vande Mataram|
|National Calendar||Saka calendar|
|National Days||· 26th January- Republic Day
· 15th August- Independence Day
· 2nd October- Gandhi Jayanthi
|Area||3.287 million km²|
|Total Coast Line of India||7,517 Km|
|Land Frontier||15,200 Km|
|Stretch||2933 Km East to West|
|3214 Km North to South|
|Important Rivers||· Ganges
|Important Mountains||· Himalaya
· Eastern Ghats
· Western Ghats
|Highest point||· Kanchenjunga|
|Seas||· Bay of Bengal
· Arabian Sea
· Indian Ocean
|Major agricultural climates||· Kharif
|Major Cities||· Mumbai
· New Delhi
Aspirants can check out the relevant links to prepare for the UPSC Civil Services Exam comprehensively-
Multiple Choice Question (MCQ)
Consider the Following Statements
- The Satpura range rises in Eastern Gujarat state running east through the border of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh to the east till Chhattisgarh.
- Pachmarhi is a hill station in the Hoshangabad district of Madhya Pradesh state of central India. It is also famous for Satpura Tiger Reserve, Satpura National Park,
- Karakoram Mountain Range begins in the Wakhan Corridor (Afghanistan) in the west and encompasses the majority of Gilgit-Baltistan (Pakistan) and extends into Ladakh (India) and the disputed Aksai Chin region controlled by China
- The Siachen Glacier at 76 kilometres and the Biafo Glacier at 63 kilometres rank as the world’s second and third longest glaciers outside the polar regions.
Which of the following statements are true?
A) Only 2, 3, and 4 are true.
B) Only 1, 3, and 4 are true.
C) Only 1, 2, and 3 are true.
D) All the 4 statements are True.
|Table Of Precedence-Republic Of India|
|Interesting facts about Indian civil services|
|Interesting facts about Indian Railways|
The above details would help candidates prepare for UPSC 2022.