This article talks about littoral and swamp forest in India.
Littoral and Swamp forests are also called wetland forests. They can be classified into the following types:
- Beach forests: The rainfall varies from 75 cm to 500 cm depending upon the area. The temperature is moderate. The common plants of these forests are Casuarina equisetifolia, Borassus, Phoenix, Manilkara littoralis, Callophyllum littoralis, Pandanus, Thespesia, Barringtonia, Pongamia, Cocos nucifera, Spinifex littoreus and a number of twiners and climbers.
- Tidal forests or Mangrove forests: The Tidal forests are further classified into the following four types:
(i) Tree mangrove forests
(ii) Low mangrove forests
(iii) Salt water forests and
(iv) Brackish water forests.
- Fresh water swamp forests: Important plants found here are Salix tetrasperma, Acer, Putranjiva, Holoptelia, Cephalanthus, Barringtonia, Olea, Phoebe, Ficus, Murraya, Adhatoda, Canna and a variety of grasses.
Consider the following statements:
- Littoral and swamp forests are also called wetland forests.
- There are 5 types of Littoral and swamp forests
Which of the following statements are correct: a) 1 only b) 2 only c) Both 1 and 2 d) None of the above Answer: a