In UPSC Civil Services examination candidates have to face one optional subject with two paper, which is considered as its vital part. Mains examination of IAS Exam is scheduled to take place in September 2019.
The IAS Prelims exam took place on 2nd June 2019. The candidates who remain successful in the Prelims Examination will be allowed to take up the Mains Examination. For the UPSC Mains, the candidates are supposed to choose an Optional Subject. The candidate would then have to attempt two papers of the optional subject of his/ her choice. There are a total of nine papers.
This article talks about Mechanical Engineering as an optional subject for the UPSC Mains Examination.
Mechanical Engineering As An Optional Subject For UPSC IAS Mains
Mechanical engineering as an optional subject for UPSC IAS Mains Exam is a professional degree subject that deals with the construction, design, and use of machines. Aspirants from Mechanical engineering background can only handle this optional subject. If the aspirants are thorough with core subjects of mechanical engineering one, they can opt for this as their IAS optional subject. The syllabus of Mechanical engineering ought to be done before prelims.
To check the UPSC Mechanical Engineering Syllabus, candidates are advised to refer to the linked article.
Books For Mechanical Engineering Optional
The compilation of important books for Mechanical engineering optional for UPSC IAS Exam is given below.
For UPSC Mechanical Engineering Strategy, check the linked article.
- Thermodynamics – R Yadav
- Theory of Mechanics – S S Rattan
- Heat Conversion – Arora and Kundwar
- Heat Transfer – Gupta Prakash
- Heat and Mass Transfer – R. Yadav
- Theory of Mechanism and Mechanics – Jagdish Lal
- Principles of Manufacturing Material & Process – Campbell
- Fundamentals of Classed Thermodynamics – Van Wylen
- Environmental Pollution Central Engineering-CS Rao
- Mechanics of Solids – Popru
- Energy Conversion – Sukhalmoy
- Surveying and Levelling – T P Kanetkar
- Manufacturing Science – Ghosh and Malik
- Manufacturing Science – R K Jain
- Manufacturing Technology – P N Rao
- Production Management – R K Jain
Candidates targeting UPSC 2020, may check the linked article.
Relevant articles for IAS Mechanical Engineering Books and UPSC IAS Exam are given in the table below: