“If one woman can inspire a few other women, then they, in turn, can inspire others. It all boils down to the initiative of a single individual and rather than blaming the system, one can actually try to effect changes.” – Merin Joseph IPS
Merin Joseph, a resident of Delhi since childhood, but with roots in Kerala, had always wanted to be an IAS officer. But fate had other plans for this feisty woman.
In the 2012 UPSC exam, Merin secured a rank of 188 and was allocated the IPS.
In this article, you can read all about UPSC topper Merin Joseph IPS, the lady officer who is garnering much attention from the public for her courage and dedication.
|The IAS Toppers page will help you crack the exams with relative ease. Visit the page now!!
The following links will further help their candidates in their exam preparation:
Background of Merin Joseph
- Merin Joseph was born in Ernakulam in Kerala but spent her childhood in the national capital, Delhi.
- She studied at the Convent of Jesus and Mary School, New Delhi.
- She completed her MA in History from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi University.
- Her father Joseph Abraham, a native of Ranny, Kerala, was a Principal Advisor in the Agriculture Ministry and her mother Meena, hailing from Kottayam, was an Economics teacher.
- Merin is married to Chris Abraham, a doctor from Kerala.
The journey towards the IAS
- Merin Joseph cracked the civil services exam in 2012 with an all India rank of 188. She cleared the exam after her post-graduation itself.
- She had attended IAS coaching in New Delhi.
- She was allotted the IPS and was given the home cadre. Her first posting was in Ernakulam, after completing her IPS training from Hyderabad.
- Merin was able to crack the exam at the very young age of 22 and she became the youngest lady IPS officer from Kerala.
In the table given below, you can read all you need to know about the Indian Police Service (IPS):
|A Brief History of the Indian Police Service (IPS) in India||Physical Requirement for IPS|
|IPS Salary||Rank Required in UPSC for IPS|
|IPS Eligibility Criteria||IPS Syllabus|
IAS Topper Marks
|Final Total||991/2300 [43.09%]|
Merin Joseph Facts
Some brief facts about Officer Merin Joseph are given in the table below:
|Brief Facts about Merin Joseph|
|Age upon clearance of exam||22|
Message for Aspirants
Merin recommends aspirants to start preparing for the IAS exam from the college itself. Hard work and perseverance can help aspirants clear this exam.
For more such UPSC success stories for inspiration and motivation, you can check out our segment which posts articles on IAS toppers, Get Inspired.
You can find more articles and UPSC- Related preparation materials through the links given below: