Farm Forestry means growing trees on farmlands for commercial purposes like timber production or for variety of non-commercial purposes like groundwater control, prevention of soil erosion, prevention of polluting nutrients in the soil etc. Some of the positive outcomes of farm forestry are given below.
- Production of quality timber products.
- Increase in farm incomes.
- Support community development
- Increase in employment.
- Environmental benefits.
For more details on the exam conducted by UPSC, candidates can visit the link IAS Exam.
|Looking for study material to ace the upcoming UPSC Civil Services Exam??
Refer to the links below and start your preparation now!!
How did Forests get converted into Farmland?
In the 1980s and 90s, there was a massive increase in agricultural land, which was majorly carved out of tropical forests. Roughly 80% of the global agricultural expansion happened by cutting tropical forests. More than half a million square miles of new farmland was created in developing countries between 1980 and 2000. This massive increase was fuelled by a rapidly growing population which resulted in increased demand for agricultural output. Researchers found that deforestation was predominantly carried out by corporate-run farms.
What are the Different Types of Agro-Forestry?
Agroforestry is a term used to describe a system where through some kind of spacial arrangement or temporal sequence trees, shrubs etc are grown in the same land management units such as agricultural crops and animals. There are 3 main types of agroforestry systems:
- Agrisilvicultural system – it is a combination of crops and trees.
- Silvopastoral system – it is a combination of domesticated animals and forestry.
- Agrosylvopastoral system – it is a combination of trees, animals and crops.
What are the Advantages of Social Forestry?
- Helps in covering barren lands
- Provides raw materials for the pulp industry
- Increases forest cover and restores ecological balance.
- Controls pollution
- Helps in employment generation.
Know in detail about Social Forestry, its benefits, and its types on the linked page.
Aspirants can go through the following links to prepare for upcoming UPSC Civil Services Exams more comprehensively –
Frequently Asked Questions on Farm Forestry
Q 1. What is the meaning of Farm Forestry?
Q 2. What is Social Forestry?
Q 3. What are the advantages of Farm Forestry?
Ans. Given below are the advantages of Farm Forestry:
- It can help in the production of quality timber products
- Increase Farm Income
- Beneficial for environment
- Promotes Afforestation
- Supports Community Development
Q 4. What is the main objective of Social Forestry?
Farm Forestry:- Download PDF Here
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2021.