TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Adi Shankaracharya 2. India-Israel Joint Working Group (JWG) 3. Long-Range Bomb (LRB) 4. TUSHIL - P1135.6 5. AADHAAR HACKATHON 2021 6. Samudrayan 7. One District, One Product (ODOP) 8. Universal Immunization Programme (UIP) 9. Urban Mobility Conference
Download the latest monthly updates at BYJU’S IAS & prepare for UPSC Mains 2021!
PM to inaugurate Shri Adi Shankaracharya Samadhi at Kedarnath.
About Adi Shankaracharya:
- Adi Shankaracharya was one of the leading Bhakti saint-poets who gave a new orientation to Hinduism.
- He was born in Kaladi in Kerala.
- He propounded the Advaita (Monism) philosophy and the idea of Nirgunabrahman (god without attributes).
- He set up mathas at Dwarka, Puri, Sringeri and Badrinath.
- Upadesasahasri, Vivekachudamani, Bhaja Govindum Stotra are some of the works authored by Shankaracharya. He also wrote commentaries on the Bhagavad Gita, the Brahma Sutra and the Upanishads.
- Adi Shankara is believed to have died aged 32, at Kedarnath.
Also read: Bhakti Movement
15th India-Israel Joint Working Group meeting in Tel Aviv.
- In the meeting, the JWG on Bilateral Defence Cooperation has agreed to form a Task Force to formulate a comprehensive Ten-Year Roadmap to identify new areas of cooperation.
- The JWG is the apex body between the Ministry of Defence of India and Israel’s Ministry of Defence to comprehensively review and guide all aspects of Bilateral Defence Cooperation.
- The two sides reviewed the progress made in Military to Military engagements including exercises and industry cooperation.
- They also reviewed the progress made by the Sub Working Groups (SWG) on Defence Procurement & Production and Research & Development.
- They also decided to form a Sub Working Group on Defence Industry Cooperation for which a Terms of Reference was signed.
Also read: India-Israel Relations
DRDO & IAF jointly flight tested Long-Range Bomb successfully.
About the LR Bomb:
- The LR Bomb has been designed and developed by Research Centre Imarat (RCI), a DRDO laboratory located at Hyderabad in coordination with other DRDO laboratories.
- The bomb is part of the class of weapons with a range of 50 to 150 km.
The 7th Indian Navy Frigate of P1135.6 class was launched on 28 Oct 2021 at Yantar Shipyard, Kaliningrad, Russia.
- Based on an Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) between the Government of Republic of India and Government of Russian Federation for construction of two ships of Project 1135.6 ships in Russia and two ships in India at M/s Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL), the contract for construction of two ships was signed between India and Russia in Oct 18.
- The construction of these ships is based on Indian Navy’s specific requirements to meet the entire spectrum of naval warfare in all three dimensions of Air, Surface and Sub-surface.
About the ships:
- The ships with a potent combination of state-of-the-art Indian and Russian Weapons and Sensors are equipped to operate in Littoral and Blue waters, both as a single unit and as consort in a naval task force.
- They feature “stealth technology” in terms of low radar and under water noise signatures.
- These ships are being equipped with major Indian supplied equipment such as Surface to Surface Missiles, Sonar system, Surface Surveillance Radar, Communication Suite and ASW system along with Russian Surface to Air Missiles and gun mounts.
- The 7th frigate of the series has been named ‘Tushil’ which means ‘protector shield’ in Sanskrit.
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is conducting Aadhaar Hackathon 2021.
About the Hackathon:
- The Hackathon is open to students of all the Engineering colleges in India.
- It consists of multiple problem statements categorized under two broad themes i.e. Enrolment and Authentication.
- Each team has to solve at minimum one problem statement from any of the themes to confirm their inclusion.
- The motive behind the hackathon is to promote the culture of innovation among youth, with an objective to find innovative solutions to enhance the experience of the residents and the way they interface with Aadhaar Enrolment and Authentication Software platforms.
- UIDAI has received more than 3000 team registrations, making it one of the most competitive hackathons of recent times.
Union Minister launched India’s First and Unique Manned Ocean Mission Samudrayan at Chennai.
- Samudrayan is India’s first manned ocean mission.
- With this, India joined an elite club of nations having such underwater vehicles for carrying out subsea activities.
- This niche technology shall facilitate the Ministry of Earth Sciences, MoES in carrying out deep ocean exploration of the non-living resources such as polymetallic manganese nodules, gas hydrates, hydro-thermal sulphides and cobalt crusts, located at a depth between 1000 and 5500 meters.
- The preliminary design of the manned submersible MATSYA 6000 is completed and it will be operationalised with support from various organisations like ISRO, DRDO, and IITM.
- Sea trials of 500 metre rated shallow water version of the manned submersible are expected to take place in the last quarter of 2022 and the MATSYA 6000, the deep water manned submersible will be ready for trials by the second quarter of 2024.
- The manned submersible is designed to carry three persons in 2.1 meter diameter Titanium Alloy Personnel Sphere with an operational endurance of 12h and systems to support emergency endurance up to 96h.
Significance of the development:
- Underwater vehicles are essential for carrying out subsea activities such as high resolution bathymetry, biodiversity assessment, geo-scientific observation, search activities, salvage operation and engineering support.
- Even though unmanned underwater vehicles have improved manoeuvring and excellent vision systems resembling direct observation, manned submersible provides a feel of direct physical presence for researchers and has better intervention capability.
Note:- China developed a manned submersible named ‘Fendouzhe’ and it has currently touched ~11000m water depths.
Also read: Deep Ocean Mission
‘Dilli Bakes’ – the first ‘One District, One Product’ (ODOP) brand under PMFME Scheme launched.
- NAFED has launched Dilli Bakes under the bakery products category of the Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises (PMFME) Scheme.
- This is the first product, i.e., whole wheat rusks launched under the Dilli Bakes brand. More products are expected to follow.
- According to NAFED, the whole wheat rusk is a unique product as it is made with jaggery instead of sugar and contains butter instead of vanaspati.
Know more about the One District One Product initiative in PIB dated Sep 18, 2020.
Union Minister launched nationwide expansion of Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV) under the Universal Immunization Programme (UIP).
- Pneumonia is a leading cause of death among children under 5 years old, globally and in India.
- Pneumonia caused by pneumococcus is the most common cause of severe pneumonia in children.
- In India around 16 percent of deaths in children occur due to pneumonia.
- It is for the first time in the country that PCV will be available for universal use.
- The nationwide rollout of PCV is expected to reduce child mortality by around 60 percent.
Know more about the Universal Immunization Programme (UIP) in the link.
14th Urban Mobility Conference 2021.
About the Urban Mobility Conference:
- The main theme of this year’s conference is “Mobility for All” which focuses on providing equitable access and promote inclusive urban transportation which aims to provide affordable, clean, safe, informative, efficient and accessible transport systems, with special attention to the diverse needs from all factions of the society, especially the specially-abled, elderly, women and children.
- Sustainable mobility and universal access is crucial for achieving the 2030 Agenda of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Read previous PIB here.
October 29th, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here