With effect from October 31st 2019, the state of Jammu and Kashmir has been officially bifurcated into the Union Territories (UT) of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh. It is important for aspirants preparing for the IAS Exam to know how the political map of India has changed with the creation of two new Union Territories. This article throws light upon how the political map of India has changed after withdrawal of special status given to Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) under Article 370 by the centre. Also have a look at the latest political map of India.
Political Map of India after bifurcation of the erstwhile State of Jammu and Kashmir into Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh
Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019:
- On the 5th of August, 2019, the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill, 2019 was introduced in the Rajya Sabha.
- The bill sought to bifurcate the state of Jammu & Kashmir into two Union Territories – the UT of Jammu and Kashmir and the UT of Ladakh.
- With both the houses of parliament giving their assent to the bill, the number of states and Union Territories in India has changed.
- India will now have 28 states and the number of Union Territories in the country will increase to 9.
What has changed with the bifurcation of the State of Jammu & Kashmir into two Union Territories?
- The Union Territory of Ladakh will have Kargil and Leh districts.
- The Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir will comprise the remaining territories of the existing state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The UT of Jammu and Kashmir will have a legislature like Puducherry while Ladakh will be a UT without legislature like Chandigarh.
- Both the UTs will be headed by two separate lieutenant governors (LG), as per the Act.
- The Centre will be in direct control of the police and the law and order in Jammu and Kashmir. However, the UT will be under the elected government there.
- The central government will have direct control over the UT of Ladakh, which will administer the region through the lieutenant governor.
How many states in India are there?
The list of States and Union Territories in India are mentioned below: