The first step into exam preparation is knowing the ICSE Class 9 History and Civics Syllabus. It provides an in-depth understanding of the topics to be covered under History and Civics during the academic session. Also, students along with ICSE class 9 History and Civics syllabus get to know the exam pattern, marking scheme and topics for the project and internal assessment. To download the 9th Class ICSE History and Civics Syllabus pdf click on the link below.
ICSE Class 9 Civics Syllabus – Section A
An elementary study is required of this section without verbatim study of the Constitutional Articles in detail.
1. Our Constitution
Definition of Constitution – date of adoption, date of enforcement and its significance. Features: Single Citizenship, Universal Adult Franchise, Fundamental Rights (names only) and Fundamental Duties, Directive Principles of
State Policy (meaning), Welfare State (meaning only).
Meaning; Composition of Election Commission (in brief); Direct and Indirect election; General election; Mid-term election and By-election.
3. Local Self Government
Rural: Three-tier system of Panchayati Raj – Gram Panchayat, Panchayat Samiti, Zila Parishad –functions (any four each).
Urban: Municipal Committees and Municipal Corporations – functions (any four each).
ICSE Class 9 History Syllabus – Section B
1. The Harappan Civilisation
Sources: Great Bath, Citadel, seals, bearded man, dancing girl, dockyard, script.
Urban planning. Decline of the Harappan civilization.
2. The Vedic Period
Sources: Vedas and Epics (brief mention)
Brief comparative study of Early and Later Vedic society.
3. Jainism and Buddhism
Causes for the rise of Jainism and Buddhism in the 6th century B.C. Doctrines.
4. The Mauryan Empire
Sources: Arthashastra, Indika, Ashokan Edicts, Sanchi Stupa.
Administration (Chandragupta Maurya and Ashoka); Ashoka’s Dhamma.
5. The Sangam Age
Meaning of Sangam; Sources: Tirukkural (in brief).
6. The Age of the Guptas
Sources: Account of Fa-hien; Allahabad Pillar Inscription.
Contribution to the fields of Education (Nalanda University), Science (Aryabhatta) and Culture (works of Kalidasa, Deogarh temple).
7. Medieval India
(a) The Cholas
Sources: Inscriptions; Brihadishwara Temple.
Administration (Rajaraja I, Rajendra I).
(b) The Delhi Sultanate
Political history and Administration (Alauddin Khilji and Muhammad Bin Tughlaq).
(c) The Mughal Empire
Sources: Ain-i-Akbari, Taj Mahal, Jama Masjid and Red Fort.
Political history and administration (Akbar)
8. The Modern Age in Europe
(a) Renaissance – Definition; causes (new trade routes, invention of the printing press) and impact
on art, literature and science (Leonardo Da Vinci, William Shakespeare and Copernicus).
(b) Reformation – Meaning of Reformation; dissatisfaction with the practices of the Catholic Church, Counter Reformation. (meaning only).
(c) Industrial Revolution – Definition of the term. Socialism and Capitalism – meaning only.
ICSE Class 9 History and Civics Syllabus – Internal Assessment
ICSE Class 9 Students have to work on any one project/assignment related to the History and Civics Syllabus.
Suggested Assignments for History and Civics
Have a look at the list of the project work/assignments.
- ‘The Indian constitution protects the rights of children, women, minorities and weaker sections.’ Elaborate on the basis of a case study.
- ‘Fundamental Duties complement Fundamental Rights.’ Illustrate with the help of a Power Point Presentation.
- Highlight the civic issues of your locality and what suggestions would you offer to address them.
- Visit a museum or local site of historical importance and discuss its significance.
- Discuss the art and architectural features of any of these monuments: Buddhist Caves, Ajanta; Iron Pillar, Mehrauli; Gol Gumbaz, Bijapur; Mattancherry Synagogue, Cochin; Kamakhya Temple, Guwahati; St. Thomas Basilica, Chennai; Tower of Silence, Mumbai.
- Make a pictorial presentation of inventions and innovations as a result of the Industrial Revolution.
- Make a comparative study of the Harappan and the Mesopotamian Civilisations.
For students easy access, we have compiled the syllabus of all subjects at a single place. They can go through them by visiting the ICSE Class 9 Syllabus page. Download the BYJU’S App and fall in love with learning.