English is a language subject, so it isn’t easy to score high marks. However, with the help of ICSE Syllabus For Class 7 English, students can get a better understanding of the exam pattern, types of questions asked in the exam, important topics, question paper design, etc. So, here we have provided the ICSE Class 7 English Syllabus 2020. Students can download the syllabus pdf from the link below.
ICSE Class 7 English Syllabus – Listening and Speaking
1) Listen to a variety of texts from different genres and registers such as story, poems, narratives, lecture, speech, dialogue etc for aural/written comprehension.
2) Listen and comprehend issues/topics raised in spoken texts e.g.
- group discussions
3) Use of graphics, images, music, sound and visual displays in presentations.
4) Speak in a variety of contexts and tasks e.g.
- facial expressions
- body language
- voice modulation
- choice of words
5) Collect and collate ideas and seeks clarification to keep discussions relevant.
ICSE Class 7 English Syllabus – Reading
1) Literary/ non-literary texts on a wide range of themes covering different genres and registers. The themes may include:
- Self, Family, Home, Friends and Pets
- Neighbourhood and Community at large
- The Nation – diversity (sociocultural, religious and ethnic, as well as linguistic heritage
- Myths/legends/folktales) The World – India’s neighbours and other countries (their cultures, literature and customs)
- Adventure and Imagination
- Sports and Yoga
- Issues relating to Adolescence (drugs, values, life skills)
- Science and Technology
- Peace and Harmony
- Travel and Tourism
- Mass Media
- Art and Culture
- Health and Reproductive health
- Famous Personalities &achievers,
- Environmental concerns – water conservation, cleanliness and sanitation, Safety –personal safety & awareness about child abuse, conservation of energy, Sustainable development
2) Extensive and intensive reading of the texts for comprehension, inference etc.
3) Focus on choice of vocabulary/figurative language and tone/mood used in the text.
4) Deconstruct the textual piece to enhance understanding of the structure used by author.
ICSE Class 7 English Syllabus – Writing
1) Write messages, invitations, short paragraphs, informal letters and applications.
2) Simple narrative and descriptive pieces, etc.
3) Creative writing: stories, First Person Account (e.g. Give an account of the very first time that you helped your mother in the kitchen).
4) Organize and structure thoughts in writing.
5) Organise and structure meaningful sentences in a sequential manner.
6) Use of linkers such as however, therefore etc. to link sentences to indicate passage of time and provide a sense of closure.
7) Age appropriate use of words and phrases.
8) Follow process approach to writing. planning, revising, reviewing editing, rewriting.
9) Prepare informal letters in the prescribed format.
10) Prepare notices/invitations/ greetings.
ICSE Class 7 English Syllabus – Grammar and Vocabulary in Context
1) Phrases and clauses.
2) Active and passive voice.
3) Synonym, antonym and analogy in the right context.
4) Figurative language, (e.g. pun, personification, alliteration, metaphor, simile, onomatopoeia).
5) Age appropriate words and phrases and domain specific vocabulary.
ICSE Class 7 English Literature Syllabus – Suggested Reading List
1) Novels by Gerard Durrell
2) Malgudi Days – R.K. Narayan
3) I am Malala – Malala Yousafzai
4) Detective stories – Agatha Christie
5) The Lost World – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
6) The Happy Prince and Other Tales – Oscar Wilde
7) Animal Farm – George Orwell
8) Tuck Everlasting – Natalie Babbit
9) Short Stories (O’ Henry/ Saki/ Leo Tolstoy/Rudyard Kipling/ Guy De Maupassant/Mark Twain/ Oscar Wilde/Jorge Luis Borges/William Faulkner/Anton Chekhov/ Edgar Allen Poe/Franz Kafka/Earnest Hemingway /Flannery O’Connor/James Joyce/Ray Bradbury/Roald Dhal/ Nicolai Gogol and Translations from Indian writers like Tagore, Premchand , etc.)
10) Something Out of nothing
11) Marie Curie and Radium – Carl Killough
12) Ignited minds – APJ Kalam
13) Graphic Novels: Tintin Series/ Asterix series
We have also compiled the syllabus of all subjects at a place. Students can access them easily by visiting the ICSE Class 7 Syllabus page. Download the BYJU’S App and fall in love with learning.