Knowing the ICSE Class 8 English Syllabus is one of the important tasks that count in the exam preparation. Just random studying will not fetch any results to students, especially when they are studying the language subject like English. So, it becomes crucial for students to know the syllabus thoroughly before beginning the exam preparation. To help them, we have provided the ICSE Class 8 English Syllabus 2023. Students can also download the complete ICSE Syllabus pdf from the link below.
In this page, we have provided the syllabus for English Literature, Grammar and Writing. Knowing the syllabus topics will provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject and help students in preparing well for the board exam.
ICSE Class 8 English Syllabus – Listening and Speaking
1) Listen to a variety of texts from different genres and registers such as story, poems, narratives, lecture etc. for aural/written comprehension.
2) Listen and comprehend issues/topics raised in spoken texts e.g.
- Group discussions
3) Use of graphics, images, music, sound and visual displays in presentations.
4) Analyse and evaluate use of language in different contexts (newspapers, television, billboards and advertising campaigns) and its interpretation.
5) Adapts speech to a variety of contexts and tasks e.g.
- facial expressions
- body language
- voice modulation
- choice of words
6) Collect and collate ideas and seek clarification to keep discussions relevant.
7) Use multi-media to make presentations on issues and social messages i.e. drug abuse, values, life skills etc.
ICSE Class 8 English Syllabus – Reading
1) Literary/ non-literary texts on a wide range of themes covering different genres and registers. The themes may include:
- Self, Family, Home, Friends etc.
- Neighbourhood and Community.
- The Nation – diversity (sociocultural, religious and ethnic, as well as linguistic), heritage
- The World – India’s neighbours and other countries (their cultures, literature and customs)
- Adventure and Imagination
- Sports and Yoga
- Issues relating to Adolescence
- Science and Technology
- Peace and Harmony
- Travel and Tourism
- Mass Media
- Art and Culture
- Health and Sanitation.
- Famous Personalities & achievers,
- Environmental concerns – water conservation, cleanliness and sanitation, Safety – personal safety & awareness about child abuse, conservation energy, sustainable development.
2) Extensive and intensive reading of the texts for comprehension, inference etc.
3) Focus on choice of vocabulary/figurative language and tone/mood used in the text.
4) Deconstruct the textual piece to understand the
- central theme
- point of view
- dialogue / incident
- points of view
5) Evaluate and analyse the text from the point of view of its
- Film content
ICSE Class 8 English Syllabus – Writing
- Paragraph (250 -300 words)
- Letter (formal, informal)
- Personal narrative
- Write across disciplines.
- Use of technology as a resource to enhance research work.
- process approach to writing by planning, writing, revising, editing, and rewriting
ICSE Class 8 English Grammar and Vocabulary in Context
- Phrases and clauses and their function in specific sentences.
- Sentenced Analysis:
- main clause and subordinate clause (s).
- Sentence transformation from simple to complex /compound sentences.
- Use phrases, idioms figure of speech in context.
ICSE Class 8 English Literature Syllabus – Suggested Reading List
- Lord of the Flies – William Golding
- A Wizard of Earth Sea – Ursula Le Guin
- The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Watership Down – Richard Adams
- To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas – John Boyne
- A tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
- Les Misérables – Victor Hugo (Abridged)
- Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway
- The Pearl– John Steinbeck
- P.G. Wodehouse (Jeeves/ Blandings Castle etc.)
- The Ramayana/ Mahabharata – C. Rajagopalachari
- Graphic Novels (e.g. Maus – Art Spiegelman)
- David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
Keep Learning and stay tuned to get the latest update on ICSE/CBSE/State Board/Competitive Exams. You can get the ICSE Class 8 Syllabus of all the subjects for free of cost in PDF format. Also, download BYJU’S App to get interactive study videos.