The Union Public Service Commission has announced the UPSC 2019-20 Calendar for various competitive exams like CSE, NDA, CDS, CMS and others.
The Civil Services Indian Administrative Services (IAS) Preliminary Exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and is scheduled to be held on 2nd June 2019.
Find below the complete details of UPSC Exam 2019-20 Schedule/Calendar as released in the UPSC Online notification on their official website.
The Preliminary Indian Administrative Services (IAS) Exam is to be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on June 2nd 2019 as mentioned in the UPSC 2019-20 Calendar which is given above. The civil services IAS Exam is held in three stages and they are:
- The IAS Preliminary exam (objective / multiple choice questions type)
- IAS Mains Exam (subjective or descriptive type)
- Personality Round/Interview
The IAS Prelims Examination is meant for screening the candidates by the UPSC and those who clear the prelims will qualify for the next stage of the exam i.e., civil services (mains) exam.
It is advised to candidates to be thorough with the UPSC Syllabus as this will reduce 20 percent of the burden in their preparation process. It will also be more helpful to candidates if they keep a printed copy of the syllabus and make a checklist of topics to be covered and stick it on their study desk and tick it whenever they complete a topic or subject.
Below given is the UPSC Syllabus of Prelims Paper-I and Paper-II.
UPSC Prelims GS Paper 1 Syllabus – (200 marks) – Duration: 2 hours
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialisation General Science.
UPSC Syllabus for CSAT Paper II-(200 marks) Duration: 2 hours
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
Since questions on current events of national and international importance are unpredictable so it is advised to cover most of the topics from the prelims syllabus which is defined unlike current events as this will help candidates to score more.
Here’s a list of topics suggested by our experts to give importance in IAS prelims syllabus that can help IAS aspirants to score more in the UPSC 2019 Prelims:
Important topics to cover under History of India and Indian National Movement:
Indian independence movement with focus on the following:
- Main congress sessions with year, president and important resolutions
- Significant viceroys and their period with important decisions
- The Government of India Acts 1909, 1919, 1935 and charter acts
In Ancient History, the importance should be given on:
- Hindu philosophy, Buddhism and Jainism
- Mauryan and Gupta Period
- Art, architecture and scientific development during that period
In medieval history, the focus should be on:
- Important kings such as Sher Shah, Akbar, etc. and
- Other important dynasties and their chronology
Important topics to cover in polity:
- Here, importance should be given on current events:
- Such as any changes in the constitution, new acts or amendments, and schemes and advised to give importance on those areas.
- Other areas of importance are general and governing in particular:
- Fundamental Rights, fundamental duties, Directive Principles of State Policy (DPSP)
- Committee system, parliament and parliamentary proceedings,
- Constitutional bodies
Important topics to cover under economy
- Importance should be given on current events like new bills and important committees
- In economy, focus on basic and fundamental concepts like:
- Growth and development, poverty, unemployment, inflation
- State of national and global economy
- Major committees and bills
- Latest budget and economic survey
- Important areas to focus in geography for IAS Prelims Exam
- NCERT books of class 6 to 12 standard
- In-depth study of maps with focus on important national parks, rivers and their tributaries and cities and states through which they pass, dams’, soil type, forest coverage.
ECOLOGY and ENVIRONMENT
- Important areas to focus here
- For Ecology and Environment, candidates can refer and give importance to NCERT General Science books of class 6 to 10th standard.
- Here, the focus should be on basic concepts like theories used in everyday science and newest technology development like third and fourth generation mobile technology, biotechnology, nanotechnology, etc.
Now, you are aware of what topics to be given importance while preparing for UPSC IAS Prelims 2019-2020 that will allow you to score high then here are a few basic tips that every candidate should follow in order to succeed.
- Candidates should always give importance to easy questions
- Should not waste time on difficult questions
- Advised to make only intelligent guesses in order to avoid negative marking
- In the last few days, focus on revision of the syllabus and advised not to start with any new topics and it is recommended at least revise thrice before the exam
- It also recommended to take and practice as many MCQ mock tests as possible
It is advised to all the IAS aspirants to use tactics in their preparation and make their preparation easy and effective one. We are all aware that there are no shortcuts for success but you can use shortcut tactics in your preparation process to make your study well-organized and effective.
As IAS aspirants you must try to cover the entire UPSC syllabus but when it comes to last-minute revisions towards the weekend of your IAS preparation, having a list of important topics for UPSC prelims 2019 will help you in prioritising your studies.
Hope, this tactics and tips will help all the IAS Aspirants.
We wish all the IAS Aspirants best of luck!
|How to Prepare Indian Geography through Atlas/Maps?|
|CSAT Syllabus for UPSC Prelims & qualifying details|