Archaebacteria is a type of single-celled entity, which differs from other modern life-forms. They are a group of microorganisms, deemed to be an ancient life-form or the oldest living organisms and are known to have evolved separately from blue-green algae and bacteria.
Listed below are few important and solved MCQs on Archaebacteria.
1. Which of the following bacteria thrive in extreme environmental conditions, such as high temperature and acidic pH, the absence of oxygen and high salt concentration?
(d) All of the above
2. Which of the following statement is true for archaebacteria?
(a) Archaebacteria are fossils
(b) Archaebacteria are halophiles
(c) Archaebacteria are photosynthetic
(d) Archaebacteria are old living entities
3. Some hyperthermophilic organisms that grow in highly acidic (pH2) habitats belong to the two groups called _______.
(a) Cyanobacteria and Diatoms
(b) Liverworts and Yeasts
(c) Protists and Mosses
(d) Eubacteria and Archaea
4. Which of the following bacterium is found in extreme saline conditions?
5. Most abundant prokaryotes helpful to humans in making curd from milk and in the production of antibiotics are the ones categorized as _______.
(c) Heterotrophic bacteria
(d) Chemosynthetic autotrophs
6. Methanogens belong to_______.
(c) Slime moulds
7. Which of the following features differs archaebacteria from eubacteria?
(a) Cell shape
(b) Mode of nutrition
(c) Mode of reproduction
(d) Cell membrane structure
8. Methanococcus, Thermococcus and Methanobacterium exemplify
(a) bacteria that contain a cytoskeleton and ribosomes
(b) bacteria whose DNA is relaxed or positively supercoiled but which have a
cytoskeleton as well as mitochondria
(c) archaebacteria that lack any histones resembling those found in eukaryotes but
whose DNA is negatively supercoiled
(d) archaebacteria that contain protein homologous to eukaryotic core histones
9. After the new classification of living organisms into three domains of life (bacteria, archaea and eukarya) which one of the following is true about archaea?
(a) Resembles eukarya in all respects
(b) Completely differ from prokaryotes
(c) Completely differ from both eukaryotes and prokaryotes
(d) Have some novel features that are absent in other eukaryotes and prokaryotes
10. Which of the following are likely to be present into the deep seawater?
(c) Saprophytic fungi
(d) Blue-green algae
Stay tuned with BYJU’S NEET for more MCQs and other NEET related study materials.