One of the premier medical institutions of the country, All India Institutes of Medical Sciences has been delivering individuals with high skills and abilities ever since the late 1950s. AIIMS has also been conferred the title of “Institutes of National Importance by Act of Parliament.
Currently, there are seven AIIMS located all over India and another 13 AIIMS have been proposed.
A career in medicine is one of the best services you could provide for the nation and also, it remunerates you handsomely for it. But getting there is no easy task, it requires an obscene amount of hardwork and determination. You may fail once, twice, or more but the perseverance that you put in will most definitely pay off. So, to start things off, let’s analyze the exam pattern and the break up of marks. Then, we will tell you the best books for AIIMs.
The pattern followed in the Exam
Understanding the AIIMS exam pattern is important. It consists of 4 subjects namely Biology (Botany + Zoology), Physics, Chemistry and General Knowledge and can be taken up in English or Hindi – depending on what the candidate chose at the time of registration. The exam is a computer based test that consists of 200 multiple choice questions carrying 1 mark each – 60 from Biology, 60 from Chemistry and 60 from Physics. The remain 20 marks from General Knowledge. The candidates score 1 mark for each correct answer and a deduction of 0.33 marks for every wrong answer. Unattempted questions do not carry any negative markings.
Best Books for AIIMS
A majority of syllabus comes from CBSE Class 11 and 12, hence it might be wise to hold on to your NCERT books for now. But besides that, there are a few other AIIMS books that you must read in order to update yourself with the latest information and content that is relevant towards the exam.
The most crucial subject you need to cover in a medical exam – or any medical exam.
- Himalaya Pub. House Biology – AIPMT/NEET/AFMC/AIIMS/MH-CET
- Objective Biology for NEET and AIIMS
- Trueman’s Biology Vol. 1 & 2
One of the most scoring subjects in the exam – this is one subject where you need to focus.
- Physical Chemistry For Doctors AIPMT / AIIMS / NEET STATE PMT Part 1 & 2
- Inorganic Chemistry for NEET and Other Medical Entrance Examinations (2019) Second Edition – J. D. Lee
- Organic Chemistry for NEET and Other Medical Entrance Examinations (2017) – Solomons, Fryhle, Snyder
Might seem irrelevant for a medical exam – but it is just as important as the other subjects.
- H C Verma for Physics
- Objective Physics – M. C. Jain (For Medical & Engineering Entrance Exam)
- NCERT Xtract – Objective Physics for NEET/ JEE Main, Class 11/ 12, AIIMS, BITSAT
Comprises of GK as well as questions pertaining to logical reasoning and aptitude.
- General Knowledge Aptitude and Logical Thinking for AIIMS – Sunil Nain
- Also, reading newspapers every day and keeping yourself updated with the current trends will help you a lot in this section. Not to mention watching the news and reading online journals and publications.
AIIMS is a competitive exam and not a thesis. Hence, stick to a select group of books and study them carefully. Going through too many books during AIIMS preparation may confuse you and might turn out to be unproductive. Furthermore, taking the time to make notes and regularly reviewing them makes studying a lot more effective.