Every year, Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF) conducts National Science Olympiad (NSO) for a broad spectrum of students studying in class I to class XII in India and abroad. It is one of the most common talent search examinations conducted in India to screen some of the best students out of the bunch and award them for their excellence. A huge number of students from India and abroad take this examination to prove their mettle and be a part of the prodigious crowd. The exam tests you on various parameters viz. logical reasoning, scientific thinking, problem-solving, etc.
NSO – Section Classification
It is mainly classified into three sections for candidates from class I to X:
- Logical Reasoning
- Achiever section
While for class XIth and XIIth, these sections include:
- Physics and Chemistry section
- Achiever section
- Mathematics/ Biology section.
In this article, we are going to discuss the eligibility criteria that a candidate needs to satisfy to appear for NSO.
Eligibility criteria for National Science Olympiad (NSO)
- All the students studying in classes 1 to 12th are eligible to appear for the 1st level National Science Olympiad (NSO) irrespective of their marks.
- A student can appear for NSO any number of times i.e. students who have taken NSO examination in junior classes are also eligible to apply in their current class.
- However, there are certain criteria for a student to appear in the second level of examination. These criteria include:
- The candidate must rank in top 5% of students class wise who appeared for the 1st level exam.
- He should rank in top 25 rank holders state wise for his respective class.
- He should be a class topper from his participating school where at least ten students from a class appear in the exam have scored 50% qualifying marks.
Get more information on NSO Syllabus, NSO Preparation tips etc.