The first two groups of elements are known as s-Block elements. Elements with the last valence electron in the s orbital are grouped under s-Block elements. Elements with 1 electron in their outermost s orbital (ns1) are known as alkali metals and elements which have 2 electrons in their outermost s orbital (ns2) are known as alkaline earth metals.
Alkali metals: H, Li, Na, K, Rb, Cs, Fr
Alkaline earth metals: Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, Ba, Ra
1. Which of the compounds is known as Slaked lime?
2. Which of the ions have maximum hydration energy?
3. As compared to K, Na has
(a) higher ionization potential
(b) lower melting point
(c) lower electronegativity
(d) larger atomic radius
4. Which one is the most stable carbonate?
5. Plaster of Paris (POP) is
(a) CaSO4 H2O
(b) CaSO4 2H2O
(d) CaSO4 1/2H2O
6. Which oxide is amphoteric?
7. Be shows the diagonal relationship with
8. The tendency to lose their valance electron easily by alkali metals makes them
(a) strong reducing agent
(b) weak reducing agent
(c) strong oxidising agent
(d) weak oxidising agent
9. Which one is known as a fusion mixture?
(a) Na2CO3 + NaHCO3
(b) Na2CO3 + NaOH
(c) Na2CO3 + K2SO4
(d) Na2CO3 + K2CO3
10. Find the incorrect trend for alkaline earth metals
(a) atomic size Be < Mg < Ca < Sr
(b) second ionization energy Be < Mg < Ca < Sr
(c) Hydration enthalpy Sr < Ca < Mg < Be
(d) Density Ca < Mg < Be < Sr
S Block Elements Class 11 Chemistry – Concepts & Problems | NEET 2023 Chemistry Exam Preparation