Except for noble gases, no other elements occur independently. The attractive force by which atoms, ions and molecules are held together is known as a chemical bond. The atom has a tendency to gain stability by completing their octet. Oppositely charged ions are held together by an ionic bond. In a covalent bond electron pairs are shared. Molecules are held together by weak Van der Waal’s interaction in a crystalline structure.
1. C-O bond length is minimum in
2. Molecules are held together in a crystal by
(a) hydrogen bond
(b) electrostatic attraction
(c) Van der Waal’s attraction
(d) dipole-dipole attraction
3. Sp3d2 hybridization is present in [Co(NH3)63+], find its geometry
(a) octahedral geometry
(b) square planar geometry
(c) tetragonal geometry
(d) tetrahedral geometry
4. Find the molecule with the maximum dipole moment
5. MX6 is a molecule with octahedral geometry. How many X – M – X bonds are at 180°?
6. Find the pair with sp2 hybridisation of the central molecule
(a) NH3 and NO2–
(b) BF3 and NH2–
(c) BF3 and NO2–
(d) NH2– and H2O
7. The formal charge and P-O bond order in PO43- respectively are
(a) 0.6, -0.75
(b) -0.75, 1.25
(c) 1.0, -0.75
(d) 1.25, -3
8. Which of the molecules does not have a permanent dipole moment?
9. pℼ – dℼ bonding is present in which molecule
10. Which one has a pyramidal shape?