In this article we will be studying about the wastes, its types and sources. How to manage or dispose a waste? What exactly we mean by garbage in garbage out process?
Let us start by understanding the meaning of wastes.
Wastes or garbage are the substances that are no longer useful to us. The garbage in garbage out process constitutes the creation of wastes by various work to the dumping of waste on the landfills for its decomposition.
TYPES OF WASTE:
There can be mainly two types of wastes:
1) Biodegradable: Wastes that can be disintegrated by the action of microbes. These kind of wastes are eco -friendly. For eg: Plant products, organic wastes etc.
2) Non- biodegradable: Wastes that cannot be decomposed by the action of microbes. These kind of wastes are not eco – friendly and creates pollution in the environment. For eg: plastics, etc
SOURCES OF WASTES:
Broadly there can be four main sources of wastes:
- Domestic : Various household wastes collected during cooking and other household work . For example: vegetable leaves, excreta, ashes etc
- Commercial : Waste produced at commercial places like shops, offices etc.
- Industrial : Waste created by industries. Industries dump their wastes in river water or land causing pollution in the environment. For example: glass, smoke, plastics etc.
- Agricultural : Various garbage substances in agricultural fields like husk, weed, and cattle waste.
Now when we know the various sources of wastes, we should also know how to dispose wastes to get a clean atmosphere. Below are some of the ways in which we can dispose wastes.
- 3 R’s:
Reduce: Lessen the use of non-biodegradable materials.
Reuse: Use the materials multiple times.
Recycle: Reprocess the materials.
- Landfills and composting: Process of converting organic materials including plants and animal waste into manure is called composting. Garbage from our houses is dumped on a low-lying open area. This waste disposal method is very common. And this process is the main phase of garbage in garbage out process.
- Vermi-composting: Red worms are used in the preparation of compost.
Plastics are the semi – synthetic material that are generally non biodegradable in
In this article you understood the term waste, its types and sources, meaning of the word garbage in garbage out, plastics and plastic pollution. To know more about it download BYJUS – the learning app.