NCERT Book Solutions Class 6 Chapter 6
The Earth has an infinite variety of land-forms. Mountains, hills, plateaus and plains are the four major types of land-forms. A mountain is any natural elevation of the earth surface. There are three types of mountains- Fold Mountains, Block Mountains and the Volcanic Mountains. A plateau is an elevated flat-topped table land standing above the surrounding area. Plains are large stretches of flat land. We, at BYJU’S, are providing the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Geography Chapter 6 for students who want to excel in their studies and ace their final exam.
Students can download the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Geography PDF from the link given below
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Geography (The Earth: Our Habitat) Chapter 6 Major Landforms of the Earth
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Geography Chapter 6 – Major Landforms of the Earth
1. Answer the following questions briefly.
(a) What are the major landforms?
(b) What is the difference between a mountain and a plateau?
(c) What are the different types of mountains?
(d) How are mountains useful to man?
(e) How are plains formed?
(f) Why are the river plains thickly populated?
(g) Why are mountains thinly populated?
(a) The major landforms are:
(b)The difference between a mountain and a plateau is given below:
|A mountain is any natural elevation of the earth surface.||A plateau is an elevated flat land.|
|It is considerably higher than the surrounding area.||It is a flat-topped table land, standing above the surrounding area.|
(c) There are 3 different types of Mountains:
- Fold Mountains
- Block Mountains
- Volcanic Mountains
(d) Mountains are useful to man in various ways:
- Mountains are a storehouse of water.
- Water from the mountains is also used for irrigation and generation of hydro-electricity.
- The river valleys and terraces are ideal for the cultivation of crops.
- Mountains have a rich variety of flora and fauna.
- Several sports like paragliding, hang gliding, river rafting and skiing are popular in the mountains.
(e) When the rivers flow through mountain slopes, erosion of mountains occur. The flowing river carries the eroded material and the deposit materials like silt, clay and stones are gathered on the valleys. This leads to the formation of plains.
(f) River plains are thickly populated because of the fertility of the plains. This makes the construction of a transportation network comparatively easier.
(g) Mountains are thinly populated because :
- The climate is harsh at the mountain areas.
- Slopes are steep at the mountains and that reduces the land available for farming.
2. Tick the correct answers.
(a) The mountains differ from the hills in terms of
(i) elevation (ii) slope (iii) aspect
(b) Glaciers are found in
(i) the mountains (ii) the plains (iii) the plateaus
(c) The Deccan Plateau is located in
(i) Kenya (ii) Australia (iii) India
(d) The river Yangtze flows in
(i) South America (ii) Australia (iii) China
(e) An important mountain range of Europe is
(i) the Andes (ii) the Alps (iii) the Rockies
- (i) elevation
- (i) the mountains
- (iii) India
- (iii) China
- (ii) the Alps
3. Fill in the blanks.
1. A ___________ is an unbroken flat or a low-level land.
2. The Himalayas and the Alps are examples of _______________types of mountains.
3. _____________ areas are rich in mineral deposits.
4. The _________________ is a line of mountains.
5. The ____________areas are most productive for farming.
1. A Plain is an unbroken flat or a low-level land.
2. The Himalayas and the Alps are examples of fold types of mountains.
3. Plateau areas are rich in mineral deposits.
4. The Range is a line of mountains.
5. The plain areas are most productive for farming.
Major Landforms of the Earth Summary
The NCERT Class 6 Geography The Earth: Our Habitat Chapter 6 has the following topics:
Geography – The Earth: Our Habitat is an important book for Class 6 Social Science subject. Apart from this chapter, the full set of NCERT solutions for Class 6 Social Science is given in the linked article.
Disclaimer: This Chapter is removed as per the NCERT Syllabus 2022-23.
Frequently Asked Questions on NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Geography Chapter 6
What are the important topics discussed in Chapter 6 of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Geography?
The important topics covered in this chapter are:
To study these topics in detail, students can refer to the NCERT Solutions provided by BYJU’S for free.
Explain how are mountains useful to man from Chapter 6 of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Geography.
1. Mountains are a storehouse of water.
2. The forests provide fuel, fodder, shelter and other products like gum, raisins, etc.
3. Mountains have a wide variety of flora and fauna.
4. The river valleys and terraces are ideal for the cultivation of crops.
5. Water from the mountains is also used for irrigation and generation of hydroelectricity.
6. Several sports like paragliding, hang gliding, river rafting and skiing are popular in the mountains.
What are the major insights of using the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Geography Chapter 6?
1. All the key concepts are covered in the solutions to aid students to gain an in-depth understanding and knowledge.
2. Subject matter experts have curated the solutions to present an easy and more relevant study guide for the students.
3. Apt resource of revision purposes and an excellent time-saver for students searching for the right answers to the textbook questions.
4. PDF of solutions can be downloaded by the students for free as per their needs.