The component that we consume, which provides nourishment to the body, is called food.
E.g., Rice, chapati, curry, fruits, vegetables, cheese, bread, milk, curd, butter, etc.
The components or materials required to prepare a food item are called as ingredients.
E.g., different types of vegetables, spices are ingredients for sambar.
Food Materials and Sources
- We eat different food items every day.
- Each of these food items requires ingredients to make them.
- E.g., Chicken curry is made with chicken, spices, oil/ghee and water.
- The ingredients of a food item can be obtained from either plants or animals.
- So there are plant products and animal products.
- E.g., We get rice grains from rice plants.
- Chicken is an animal source of food.
- Items like salt and water make a third category.
Plant Parts and Animal Products as Food
- The food products that we get from plants are called as the plant products.
- E.g., ginger is the root of a plant that we use in cooking.
- The food products that we get from animals are called animal products.
- E.g. Milk, butter, chicken, meat, honey etc.
What Do Animals Eat?
- The method of eating or choices of food followed by living organisms is called as food habit.
- E.g. a rabbit eats grass or plant-based food.
Animals which feed on plants are called herbivores.
- E.g., cow, goat etc.
Animals which feed on other animals are called carnivores.
E.g., lion, tiger etc
Animals which feed on both plants and other animals are called omnivores.
- E.g., bears. They feed on flesh as well as honey
Learn more about food from the topics given below: