Looking over the unfavourable effects of having heavy school bags and also the homework for the children of classes 1 and 2, the Central board of secondary education has released a notification informing to all the CBSE affiliated schools to take measures over the reduction of weightage of the school bags. In accordance to this, the Maharashtra government has well announced the very last year itself that the weight of the school bag has to be about 10 percent of child’s weight. So now the CBSE has taken an initiative to make a bit still lighter from the following year.
In conjunction to this, in the circular released, the CBSE Director KK Choudhury tells about all the impacts on the children bearing such heavy bags which also reducing their growth. The Young children face severe problems like back pain, shoulder pain, muscle pain and also fatigue.
Measures to be taken by schools, teachers and parents are given below-
The circular has given some various measures to be followed by students, teachers and parents in helping to reduce the pressure of weight of schoolbags-
- The schools had to encourage the students in repacking their bags on a daily basis and also to avoid to fill unnecessary things to be taken to school such as y articles, workbooks, textbooks.
- All the schools should ensure that the weight of bags has to be checked for all the children of class 1 and 2
- Schools need not assign any homework of assignments to the students of classes I and II and moreover, there is no need of bringing school bag.
- A separate timetable has to be provisioned for the children so that they complete their regular homework and assignments only during school hours under the guidance of teachers.
- The Teachers might use alternative methods for teaching which is based on the ICT to reduce the dependency on the textbooks.
- Teachers are advised to make the pair of children so that two children use one textbook in a way of sharing.
- Ask children to use loose sheets for working purpose in a way that it can reduce the weight of school bag. Teachers are as well advised to carry about lesser test copies.
- The very main advice given to the parents is to look at the health of their children by purchasing bags of lesser weight.
- Parents are said to check their child’s bag on a regular basis so that thing which is unnecessary needs to be removed.
- The bag has to be put tightly to the child’s back, rather than like hanging off their
Thus owing to the health effects of children, CBSE has taken these measures and advised to be followed.