The things which we all use in our daily life are made up of different types of materials. All these materials have mass, shape and are classified on the basis of many criteria, including their physical states, properties of materials, etc.
Properties of Materials
Based on the different properties, materials can be differentiated into their respective groups. Listed below are the properties of materials.
- At first, the materials can be sorted into their groups based on the 3 states of matter- Solids, liquids and gases.
- The second criteria used to sort the materials are based on their appearance. The appearance of materials varies in colour, texture, hard, soft and lustre.
- The third criteria used to sort the materials are based on their solubility. The solubility depends on soluble and insoluble of materials in water. For example- Salt and sugar are soluble in water. Chalk and sand are insoluble in water.
- The fourth criteria used to sort the materials is based on the metal and nonmetals. Iron, copper, gold are examples of metals and coal, chalk, rubber are examples of nonmetals.
- The fifth criteria used to sort the materials is based on the light transmission through objects which includes Opaque, Translucent and Transparent.
- What is Transparency?
- What are the properties of materials?
- Define Soluble or Insoluble with examples.
- Name the objects which float in the water.
- Name five objects which can be made from plastics.
Learn more about Sorting Materials into Groups from the topics given below:
|Three States of Matter||Objects around Us|
|Sorting Material Into Groups||Properties Of Metals And Non-Metals|