In our garden we have seen different varieties of plants. Few are tiny grasses, bushes, flowering plants and tall coconut trees. But how are these plants classified?
Let us learn in detail about the plants and their classifications.
Different types of Plants
Plants are classified into three types and are mainly based on certain characters like height, stem and their branches. These classification includes:
- Herbs – These are small or a short plants which mainly consists of a soft and a delicate stem. These plants have very few branches. Wheat, paddy, cabbage, grass, coriander, are examples of herbs.
- Shrubs – These are bushy and medium- sized plantstaller than the herbs. These plants have a hard stem, broad leaves and branches branching out near the base above the ground. Lemon, rose, hibiscus, henna are examples of shrubs.
- Trees – These are tall and large plants with thick , hard and woody stem called the trunk, which arises from the ground and give rise to many branches. These branches carry leaves, flowers and fruits. banyan, coconut, Mango, jack fruits, are examples of trees.
Apart from the herbs, shrubs and trees, there are other two different types of plants and are classified based on their weak stem.
- Creepers- These are plants with the weak stem that cannot stand upright and spread on the ground. Pumpkin, watermelon, sweet potato, are examples of creepers.
- Climbers- These are plants with the weak stem that take the support of neighbouring structures to stand and grow. These plants are also called as the runners. Grapevine, money-plant, cucumber, bean, are examples of climbers.
Structure of a Plant
The structure of a typical plant is divided into two main parts – Root system and the shoot system.
- Root System – Which is below the ground level. It includes roots
- Shoot System – Which is above the ground level. It includes roots stems, branches, leaves, flowers, buds, and fruits.
- What is Photosynthesis
- What is the function of a leaf in a plant?
- Draw and explain the different structure of a flower.
- What are veins in leaves? List out the different types of veins with examples.
- Give examples of herbs, shrubs, trees, climbers, creepers, tap root, fibrous root, and Lateral root.
Learn more about Plants and its structures from the topics given below: